Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

Grant at Shiloh (2020)

Grant at Shiloh (2020)

While searching for something else, ran across this May 2020 YouTube post of Grant at Shiloh.This is my critique of the 10-minute video:

• first 2 minutes: too much focus on “reorganizing stragglers at the Landing”

• 2 – 3 minute mark: good reminder Grant was telling his commanders, “Wallace is coming”

• 3 – 4 mark: Sherman and Grant teamwork

• 4 – 5 mark: Lew Wallace got lost...

• 5 – 6 mark: “trade space (terrain) for time”

• 5 – 6 mark: “Hold your position at all hazards” Grant tells to everyone [not specifically to Brigadier General Prentiss]

• 5 – 7 mark: any mention of the Hornet's Nest/ Sunken Road is edited out. Battle of Shiloh progresses from “Sherman's strong stand” to “Confederates fail to exit the Dill Branch Ravine and attack Grant's Last Line”

• 6 – 7 mark: “Whip 'em tomorrow, though” ...and the Navy contributes;

• 7 – 8 mark: Union attacks Day Two

• 8 – 9 mark: Beauregard orders the withdrawal back to Corinth.

• 9 – 10 mark: Union Victory won, at the cost of massive casualties.

• Final minute: The lesson of Shiloh. “The war will be longer, harder and involve more casualties than previously imagined.”

My criticisms: No mention of Powell, Peabody, Prentiss. No mention of the stand of Hurlbut, Prentiss and WHL Wallace (at whatever name the location goes by this week...) No mention of Lew Wallace's contribution on Day Two. The same, tired “Lew Wallace got lost” dusted off and rolled out. No mention of Grant arriving at the battlefield over three hours after first contact. No mention of “NO defensive works.” No mention of, “DO NOT bring on a general engagement.” No mention of Grant and Buell dividing the battlefield on Day Two...

Summary: my ancestors would not recognize this rendition of the Battle of Shiloh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hehVbFYG8

Ozzy

• Like 1

Seems like a standard pro- Grant narrative, or at least Grant-Sherman centered narrative, that has made Grant the new "marble man." To be fair to them, its not exactly going to be too detailed given the format. The idea that Grant was able to rally the men  made me laugh.

Good to see my old professor Harry Laver on screen though.