Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Manassas1

(2007) Grant's Headquarters

I know Grant used the steamboat, [i:4b2d60c2aa]Tigress[/i:4b2d60c2aa] as his headquarters during some of his tenure at Shiloh. I know that it also was used as a hospital during the actual battle. What was its fate after the battle?

Belle

Hi Belle,

I didn't know the answer to what happened to the Tigress, but fortunately the world's largest libary does. Below is a copy & pasted entry about the Tigress from a website about riverboats -

Name: TIGRESS

Type: Sidewheel, wooden hull packet/towboat. Size: 178' X 32' X 6.', 321 tons

Power: 18's-6 1/2 ft., 3 boilers.

Launched: 1858, Cincinnati, Oh.

Destroyed: 1863, Apr. 22, running Vicksburg batteries, holed by cannon

ball. Beached on Lousiana side. Lost.

Area: during cotton season, Ouachita R.-New Orleans. Tramped north in summer.

Owners: Capt. Alfred B. Hopkins and William Hopkins, Marion County, Va. and Jonathan Aumiller, Meigs County, Oh..

: 1862 Under U.S. command

Captains: 1858, Alfred B. Hopkins

Comments: 1862: Apr. 6: Took Gen. Grant and his staff upriver from his estate to the Battle of Shiloh. During trouble on Tenn. R., was Grant's dispatch boat between Cherry mansion, Savannah, Tenn. and Pittsburgh Landing.

: Once raced the KEY CITY, lost.

-------------------------------

I didn't know that the Tigress had been lost at Vicksburg. But, this would have taken place at the start of Grant's campaign to cross the Mississippi below the town. The first group of boats ran the batteries at Vicksburg on the 16th, losing, I think, one transport or maybe one barge. The rest linked up with Grant to the south of Vicksburg. Another group was run past on the 22nd. That's when the Tigress went down. Running those batteries was no easy task. On a side note, I didn't know that riverboats could "tramp."

I don't know what happened to the boat after that, if she was ever salvaged or not. An unfortunate end for a fairly well-known riverboat though. But then again, I think most of them ended up either sunk or sold for scrap at some point. It's interesting to find out what happened to them though.

I also checked the listing for Key City, the boat that whipped the Tigress in a race. Apparently it was a pretty fast boat. The entry lists eight races for Key West, and it went 8-0, with another boat declining a challenge. It also collided with another boat in 1857 and sank it. Apparently the Key City wasn't a boat to mess with. ;)

That riverboat web site is pretty good. Here's the link -

http://www.riverboatdaves.com/

The entry for the Tigress is under the second page of the "T" listings for "Boats." Very little information about either the Tyler or the Lexington, the two gunboats that assisted Grant's army on the 6th. It did say that the Tyler was one of the boats that helped rescue survivors of the Sultana disater in 1865.

Perry

I don't know if the Tigress was salvaged but the flagpole was. Its in a museum in Cairo, I went there with the purpose of seeing that flagpole. Museum itself was pretty good but the flagpole was the highlight for me.

--Nick

Perry.....

Great information! There seems to be a website for everything these days! Thanks for sharing!

Nick......

What was the name of that museum in Cairo? If I'm ever out that way, I'll have to drop in to see that flagpole!

Belle

Good Morning:

The museum that he is referring to is the Custom House Museum.. They also have some other pretty interesting arifacts including the desk that Grant used while he was stationed in Cairo.. May want to check before you go..this Museum has limited hours..

I go to Cairo a couple times a month.. If you want a picture of that flagpole let me know..I will get it the next time I am down there..

Your Servant

Dan

Dan,

If you or Nick get a chance nex time you're there, maybe you could indeed take a picture of the flagpole and post it on the board. Sure, it might just be a flagpole, but like Nick says, seeing it would be a highlight.

Nick - I think you said that you had a presentation on Shiloh this month to your round table. How did it go?

Perry

I do have a picture of the flagpole. And it is the Custom House museum as someone else mentioned. Where would be a good place to post it?

My presentation went well. I was okay on time, I'm always concerned I'll have to skip stuff because I go too long, but i hit it at right about an hour and 15 minutes so that was good. There were a few slides I should add and a few slides to remove. I made a mistake in assuming the audience knew all the generals so when I put up a pic of Beauregard or Johnston I just put it up and kept talking, so I should have put it up and mentioned who it was and maybe a sentence biography. I don't think anyone had any beefs with my conclusions about particular decisions. There was a good Q&A session afterwards. But overall it went well. I was thinking of eventually posting it on my blog, maybe 2-3 decisions per day so it wouldn't be a huge post. Right now I'm posting stuff about my Antietam trip and probably have another week or so of those posts, so maybe I'll do Shiloh decisions after that.

--Nick

I do have a picture of the flagpole. And it is the Custom House museum as someone else mentioned. Where would be a good place to post it? [/quote:1d6eb68946]

Hmmm. We don't really have a 'flagpoles at Shiloh' forum, do we. <g> I guess this forum would be fine. If you can't get the picture itself to load here you might have to post a link if you've got the picture in an online album somewhere. Thanks for the offer.

Sounds like the presentation went well. You [i:1d6eb68946]did[/i:1d6eb68946] mention this discussion group, right? ;) Do the presentations at your round table usually go for an hour or so like that? The ones here in Oklahoma City usually run around 30 minutes or so. Seems to be about the average. I did one on Peabody a few years back that ran for about 45 minutes, and it was probably a bit on the long side for that group.

If and when you post that information to your blog, feel free to post a link to it here.

Perry

Yeah most presentations go about an hour. We have the room til 8:30 and we start the presentation near 7 pm, after the raffle and brief announcements. So about an hour is average. I went a little longer than most but I knew that going in, and I think the audience knew that too. I'm doing another presentation in August and that one I want a bit more discussion afterwards so I'll try to trim it to 45 minutes or less.

I didn't mention this board but I'm also the roundatble's newsletter editor and have thought of including it there. And when I get into Shiloh on the blog I'll mention it there too.

--Nick

I wasn't sure how to post here so I posted in on the roundtable's yahoo group. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RockyMtnCWRT/ and then click on "photos" and it is in the album titled "Tigress Flagpole." If someone knows how to post them on this site I'd be happy to post them here too, I just couldn't figure it out and this way was quick and easy.

--Nick

Hi Nick,

It looks like it's necessary to join your roundtable's yahoo group in order to see the photos. I did so a little bit ago. If the pictures are in an online album such as webshots or something similar, I think you can link them directly, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible to post pictures here any other way for now.

Nice pictures though. Looks like they've done a good job of displaying the flagpole and other items, including Grant's Cairo desk. I also looked through your Antietam album, and those two silhouette sunrise pictures are wonderful.

Perry