Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

april 8th,2008 --fallen timbers car caravan

mona    141

Stop 1--visitors center The morning began with a good crowd for a tuesday "hike" and bjorn began our travels with an overview of the calvary's use and abilities with the terrain available.the Confederate calvary--Forrestt,wharton,lindsay(and Morgan) The union calvary were camped around calvary field-and look as a"great nuissance"both were used at this time as recon,scouting,courier .most of the calvary units were very naive as it takes a good year to drill a effectivre calvary unit.so most of these were very green.

to be continued--mona

Perry Cuskey    261

Like Paul Harvey, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, Mona. :)

Wish I could have been on that hike, as it looked very interesting, and was going out to an area I've never been to. Maybe some other time.

Perry

mona    141

OK  Stop2--we drove down Hwy 22 to where the gift store is.This was the site of a hospital set up and soldiers on both sides were receiving care.Sherman sent a few of 4th Ill down corith rd thruogh Seay field--to this area near a cotton gin.They then left to seay field again where they met up with a small # of Confedreate calvary who chased them as they returned to their pickett line.This brought forth panic in the camps-I suppose that the troop ere very jumpy as to what they'd been trough the past couple days.The panic stricken men fled in the direction of Pittsburg Landing.After a while when nerves were settled they figured out that the Confederate troops were not attacking.The soldiers in camp were trying to just bury their dead and burn the dead horses.We loading back up to the next stop.

Stop3-"The Forks" This is down now 22 just at the Hardin-McNairy co. line.we drove to park in the Church of Christ  Parking Lot and carefully walked up the highway as there is not any parking at the campsite of Albert Sidney Johnson (pre battle)This is the site of the well known meeting-where ASJ knowing the union troops were somewhat confined within  the swampy bottms of Lick-Owl-Snake creek and the Tennessee river.it was here he spoke the well known staement--"The enemy can provide no longer front than can I.I would fight them if they were a million.Several roads came to junction here.They after noon of the 8th sherman advanced slowly to this area--woos and his troop went alonG on fork and dickey took the Bark rd.Buell couldnt/didnt pursue as they left all their supply wagons in Waynesboro to hurry up the advance earlier.(any correction or additions are welcomed.)To be continued I promise in a more timely fashion.

mona    141

Stop #4 we walked back to the Church parking lot and drove down 22 and turned up the next road west(The original road went through the campsite and accross to the Fallen timbers area)The term Fallen timbers results from the girdling of trees for bark used in the tanning process-there was a tannery south of todays park -about Childers Hill area.When the tress die after girdling the become weakened an when a powerful wind comes through it'll lay all the tress the same direction--ie fallen timbers.This area of Bark road(because it was use to haul the bark to the tannery)where the troops meet was also near a sawmill.so Dickey and his 4th Ill calvary came down Bark rd littered with dead and dying soldiers and everything the soldiers had been carried out with them that they now deemed not worthy to carry on the retreat.there was afield hosptital in this area with about 200 men some of which were captured union soldiers.The small # of Calvary screen that had been set up upon Brec kingridge's retreat HQ at Mickey's house further on was so the union wouldnt detect them.These wee comprised of Nathan Bedford Forrestt/John Hunt Morgan/Basil Duke/adams/Harrison/Terry commands all worked together.The union troops advance into the "bowl"-the field is slopingnto the middle like a bowl--with downed timber and stumps-It is here that NBF attacks and then is fired upon.the calvary turns back and the Union calvary mounts are not battle hardened and bolt and destroy the battle line.NBF still comes on in to the line and he is shot as is his horse-which dies of the injury the next day.He escapes down Bark rd to harrisin rd.Sherman came in to the hospital on site and Paroled the Drs and patients who all started toward Corinth.

mona    141

Stop #5 We reloaded and drove up Bark rd to Harrison rd to Mickey's house area around now Pebble Hill community a few miles on south is Monterey(now Michie--Pronounced Mickey)Rear guard stationede here and there was another hospital in this area.Beauregard hed Breckingridge group about 1200 men from many different troops and about 300 calcary to set up on top of hill awaiting tyo see if union troops were going to regroup and press on.But Shernamn called off recon.

# Principle Importance of Falen Timbers::

1-Sherman needed to determine if the confederate troops wer going to regroup and attack again.

2-Breckenridge's troop movements did stop the Union pursuit.

3-Nathan Bedford Forrestt attack drove back the Union surge and convienced them that the rear guard was stronger than it really was.

4- the Union troops didnt follow probably as they were physically incapable d/t fiercwe action the [past 2 days and low Moral--the were more ready to high tail it and run--It was 3 weeks before the Union troops even made a start to approasch Corith.

• Like 1

mona    141

A Little side note--while we were finishing this car caravan off at the Pebble Hill church--Bjorn told of a Personal loss for Lincoln here at Shiloh.Mary's brother Sam was shot at Shiloh and lived about 24 hr and died on the retreat toCorith and was left upon the side of the road.??whether he was ever buried by the locals -no body

will ever know.The press jumped on this --no Pvt ever received so much press this just came about a few years ago.(House of abraham--the todd family--Lincoln was very fond of his Brothers in law as he had no family and her

4 brothers fought for the Confedreacy (and 3 were killed in battle.)

Another Hardin County Lincoln connection is that a local boy at the beginning of the war went up north adn joined the calvary and served in ark/missourri as his family owned alot of land ion the bottms accross fron Pittsburg landing around Nixon.any way on his tombstone in county it has an inscription taht he was a guard at Lincoln's Funeral now which one we dont know but I find it interesting.Any way I hope you all learned somethning and /or if I made a mistake please correct it and now you are ready for next week and the followup to this trip next Wed.It's going to rain ALL week here so be prepared as last year.see you soon.

Mona:)