Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Manassas1

(2007) Shiloh's Monument Commission Books

Perry and all......

I noticed the books topic is not yet activated so I guess I'll pose my question here for the time being.

Following the battle and the monumentation period, a number of northern states issued Reports of the Monuments Commission books. I know Gettysburg had quite a few. Does anyone know how many of these books were published for Shiloh? I've run across a "Wisconsin at Shiloh" and an "Ohio at Shiloh" . They give accounts of each unit's participation in the battle and a brief description and picture of the state's monuments dedications.

Belle

Good Morning:

The two books you have mentioned are the only ones I know of concerning the Battle of Shiloh.. The NPS website has a monument locator system that displays a picture of each monement and the inscriptions (sp?) on them.. Those would be the only sources I know of if you are looking for detailed monument info

Hi there Belle,

Sherman's headquarters marker huh? Guess I should have known. ;)

On the commission books, Rebel may very well be right, but I think there were more of them. Seems like I've come across references to reports on other states but exactly which I'm not sure.

I had a chance to get the one from Ohio for a good price on ebay recently, but didn't jump on it soon enough.

Rebel is right about the Monument Location System on the NPS site. Very helpful.

Perry

I have the Ohio at Shiloh Book.. If you need info on a particular unit let me know.. I will scan the page and email to you.. The Wisconsin Book I have only seen once on Ebay.. It was pricey.. If it had been my first born I would own the book.. but it was that arm and leg that I hated to part with..

Several states did monument books for Shiloh. Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois all have them. The 77th Penn did one too that has alot of Shiloh stuff but also handles their other battles/monuments. Iowa did one that covered all of its monuments that they did in the west (not sure any Iowa troops fought in Virginia). Confederate states don't seem to have printed a book, instead there is just several pages in Confederate Veteran magazine around the time of the monument's dedication.

--Nick

Hi Nick.....

I suppose there were fewer dollars to go around after the war in the southern states and that prevented them from establishing monument commisions to place memorials on the fields of battle. I know at Gettysburg there were very few Confederate monuments dedicated by the veterans. Of course, that was a northern battlefield and other emotions may have come into play there.

I've seen the Ohio and Wisconsin Shiloh Monument Commission books and they are very good. I have yet to see the other states.

Belle

Most of the books can be found on ebay from time to time for around $50. I've never seen the Illinois or Michigan books for sale I had to do ILL to see a copy. And then just xerox everything I wanted. If you're looking for something I'd be happy to scan some pages.

--Nick

Hi Belle,

You're right about the lack of money in the South regarding monumentation in the years after the war. From what I understand this is true at many of the parks, Shiloh and Gettysburg included. A lot of the monuments were erected between the 1890's and early part of the 20th Century.

One thing I really like about the Shiloh commission books is that you can see what some of those monuments looked like when they were so new they still had the sparkle on them. And sometimes you can get bits and pieces of what the early park looked like by examining some of the background behind the pictures. Pretty nice, since there are virtually no pictures from the war years - I think only two or three are known to exist - and we hardly ever get to see 'old' pictures of the park.

Perry