Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Start a discussion about the actual battle

Hello Everyone:

There does not seem to be much discussion about the actual battle. I believe the Battle of Shiloh to be a very hard battle to follow and understand and therefore, the most interesting. I suggest that each member take a segment of the battle and present a description of same. Maybe this will start some discussion. I volunteer to post about the second day of the battle, Monday April 7th. But, this is not a one way street, you know. You have to pick a portion of the battle and post. What do you say?

Ron

Ron......

I really can't compare with the knowledge of Shiloh folks like you, Dan and Wrap have. However, I guess one way to truly learn is to jump right in and do it. Are you giving out assignments or should we pick our own segment of the battle?

Belle

Hello Belle:

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry about your info of battle. Best way to learn is to study and do it. Thats how I did it. Now have over 200 pages written of a book about battle. Probably will never publish it but what a way to learn. I glad I did this work.

Pick a area of the battle that nobody has selected. Late arrivals will choose from the leftovers. What about sunken road, hornets nest, Lew Wallace's delayed arrival on the battlefield, Ruggles' arillery line, Shiloh Church plateau fighting, role of Sherman, Grants role, death of A S Johnston, Rea field, fighting in Sarah Bell cottonfield, many topics to choose from.

Hint to all. For all of you interested students of the battle. Some areas of battle grabbed the headlines but the eastern side of the battlefield had important implications not appreciated by many.

Ron

I am going to post a follow up article on the Rhea Field fighting and the 53rd Ohio in particular..

Belle, I want to echo what Ron said. Just jump in there and do it. Granted some of us do have quite a bit of knowledge on the battle. However, that does not mean that we cannot learn from your research and opinions. A case in point is my misstep about the dirt road between Prentiss's Camp and Fraley Field being the Bark Rd.. Ron caught it and I went back and looked at all the roads and found that I did not know a lot about how those roads ran.. I studied them before the hikes and found that info very helpful

I am looking forward to your Lew Wallace article

Dan

Ron, et al...

Hopefully we can start to work in more discussions about the actual battle. As Dan did earlier, anyone is more than welcome to pick an issue and dive in. Lots of good subjects to choose from.

Perry