Shiloh Discussion Group
Ron

Daniel Davis

Was the owner of the Davis Wheat field, Daniel Davis, the same person, name of Davis, who had a cabin on the northeast side of the Crescent field?  If so, was he the owner of the Crescent field also?  Also, was he a owner or a tenant farmer of the wheat field and/or the Crescent field? 

Who was the owner of the Woolf field at the time of the battle?  I have heard nothing of this owner, presumably a farmer by the name of Woolf.  I have seen a person listed with that name but with a different spelling.

Thanks

Ron

Guest C.D.RICKMAN

daniel davis is shown as owning only about 30 to 35 acres in the 1860 census. I have been unable to locate his deed but still looking.

I believe I have found the answer to my question of "Did Daniel Davis own or live in the area of the Crescent field"?  Information recently found mentions Henry Davis and his parents living in a cabin just south of the Sowell field in 1862.  Daniel Davis and Henry Davis do not appear to be related.  On some maps of the area and at the time of the battle, there is a cabin indicated in the crescent field as the Davis cabin.  This cabin was burned during the battle in the actions of both April 6th and 7th.  I am still looking in the 1860 census but can't find this family  listed.  It may be that the Davis family are listed in another civil district as many others were.  Additional information states that in May 1896, Henry Davis and Squire McCuller spoke with Atwell Thompson about the Owl Creek bridges, above the Sowell field.  This means that Henry Davis was a long time resident of the area that included the Crescent field, Sowell field, Owl Creek bottomlands and the bridges over the Owl Creek and more.  This information places him in the area from 1862 to at least 1896.

Does anybody have any information of this man, his family and his cabin in the Crescent field?