Shiloh Discussion Group
idaho native

1913 Report of Shiloh Ntl Military Park Commission

Thanks for the site Sharon.  I find I'm doing less and less internet searches on "All Things WI 16th" and enjoying the sites and various reading material recommended on Perry's great (and constantly getting better) site by it's members.

Jim

You spoke volumes with the statement of a great site getting better because of it's members..  I was one of the first ones on here and I never imagined that the board would get so good and informative.. 

OK.  In reading the reports I came across this statement:

"The Army of the Tennessee, commanded by Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was, on the 5th of April, 1862, composed of six divisions. The First, commanded by Maj. Gen. John A. McClernand; the Second, by Brig. Gen. W. H. L. Wallace; the Third, by Maj. Gen. Lew. Wallace; the Fourth, by Brig. Gen. S. A. Hurlbut; the Fifth, by Brig. Gen. W. T. Sherman, and the Sixth, by Brig. Gen. B. M. Prentiss. Generals McClernand, C. F. Smith, and Lew Wallace had been promoted major-generals march 21, 1862. Official notice of such promotion was sent to General Grant by General Halleck from St. Louis April 5. Previous to this notice of promotion the order of rank of the brigadiers was as follows: Sherman, McClernand, Hurlbut, Prentiss, C. F. Smith, Lew. Wallace, W. H. L. Wallace. General Smith, until relieved by General Grant, March 17, was in command by order of General McClellan.

The camps of Sherman and Prentiss formed the front line about 2 ½ miles from Pittsburg Landing and extending in a semicircle from Owl Creek on the right to Lick Creek on the left. One company from each regiment was advanced as a picket 1 mile in front of regimental camps."

Which again raises the question to me of why were 4 companies of the 16th WI on picket duty on the night of the 5th into the 6th???

Jim

Jim,

Even though we have that report, I'm not sure there actually were four companies out that night, although it's certainly possible. It might explain at least one oddity that I think we've talked about before. That being, picketts from the 16th Wisconsin reportedly encountered Powell's patrol on the morning of April 6th. That would be odd since Powell's men left at 3:00 in the morning and headed down the opposite flank from where the 16th was located. How they could have even seen each other, let alone interacted, is something of a mystery to me.

If the 16th had four companies on picket duty, one of them might have been located along what's now Reconnoitering Road, and if so this would explain how they encountered Powell and his men.

But my suspicion is that they actually encountered a patrol on the night of April 5th, along the Eastern Corinth Road, under David Moore, and after the battle they mentally grouped those two patrols together into one. If I remember right, Colonel Allen wrote in his report that Powell's patrol left on the night of April 5th and stayed out all night before meeting the advance elements of the southern army the next morning. I think he's confusing Powell's April 6th patrol with Moore's April 5th patrol, which he may not have realized came back the same evening it went out.

All just a guess, but it's the best one I've got. :)

Perry

Sharon, the 16th WI was in the 6th Div., Peabody's Brig.  Perry, I've read reports that state the 16th had Companys A, B, C & d out on picket duty.  I sometimes wonder if Peabody had done more than just send out patrols, but also beafed up the picket line.

Jim