Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

Dismounted Calvary demo

For any of you all close enuf the park will have dismounted calvary accross fromthe Vc this sat/sun--the demo schedule can be found in the weeks Courieronline website.Let me know if any of you'll be planning to come--there will be no Equines though:(:)

Mona

just got back from the park to see the yankee cavalary they put on a good demo. then i went and took advantage of the discount at the bookstore picked up Tyree H Bell Forrest fighting lieutant cant wait to read but one of my yankee friends gave me what seems to be a good book just read two chapters MY BRAVE BOYS COLENOL E CROSS NEW HAMPSHIRE regiment so yankee friends:)should i stop on col. Cross and pick up Bell :) give a little feedback on this Newhampshire regiment and Cross never heard to much about him but ive not read many yankee books:D but it seems to be a good book so i guess i might finish it since my friend gave it to me

perry neal

I have read My Brave Boys - have a copy here - it is good - Am curious to know about the Forrest book though. One never tires of that :devil: Forrest. Perry you need to branch out and learn about some of the really GOOD Generals aka those Yankee ones like Sherman.:)

PS The Bell book is $45.00 at Amazon.com. How much is it at the bookstore?? or was it just a one day sale??

[user=46]Perry Neal[/user] wrote:

so yankee friends:)should i stop on col. Cross and pick up Bell :) give a little feedback on this Newhampshire regiment and Cross never heard to much about him but ive not read many yankee books:D but it seems to be a good book so i guess i might finish it since my friend gave it to me

perry neal

Perry,

I would finish the Col. Cross book. It's an entertaining & informative read. Cross was a colorful character! Wore "dew rags" into battle. His regiment, the 5th NH Infantry, IIRC,  sustained the greatest loss in battle of any infantry or cavalry regiment in the Federal Army. Cross was mortally wounded in Gettysburg's Wheat Field.

I was contemplating the Bell book, but it was a little too pricey for me.

Respectfully,

54th OVI

Well this past weekend was a fairly good time to get I tiem in the bookstore you received 15%off which aided in my purchase.they dont do that very often.

Mona

yes i believe i will finish the Cross book read on it last night pretty good he has a dew rag on on the cover my ancestor was in Bells bridgade so that will be interesting it was 45 dollars at the park but with dthe discount it came to 41 tax and all so i guess it was a pretty good deal been meaning to get it but it is a little pricey i finally broke down but i am enjoying MY BRAVE BOYS