Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

battle of Corinth anniversary hikes

The park is going to have walks and car caravan tours of battle in corinth Ms and a trip to davis Bridge in Oct3/4/5-look at the web site  calender of events fo rfurther description.hope o see some of you there..

Mona

Wow, that's great news Mona. Thanks for letting us know. Wish I could be there.

I see Tom is leading some of the hikes, including the one out to the site of Davis Bridge.

For those of you who may not know, Tom wrote an excellent article on the fight at Davis Bridge that appeared in the Holiday 2007 issue of Blue & Gray magazine. You can read a three-page preview as well as order the issue that includes Tom's article here...

http://www.bluegraymagazine.com/davisbridge/davis1.html

I don't know for sure but I'd bet they also have copies available at the Corinth Interpretive Center. I'd further bet that Tom would sign your copy for you. (Hint.)

Below is a link to the hike schedule that Mona referred to, from the NPS web site...

http://www.nps.gov/akr/customcf/apps/eventcalendar/events/shilevent62465338.html

If the above link doesn't work for some reason, you can click the link below, which brings up the site's calendar for October. Then click on either the 3rd, 4th, or 5th inside the calendar to bring up the above schedule...

http://www.nps.gov/shil/planyourvisit/events.htm?om=9&oy=2009&prk=shil

Mona or Tom, have they held these hikes in the past, and do they plan on holding them again next year?

Perry

Hi As far as i know they have not held this exact kind of "hikes'but in the past theyve ahd trips out to certain areas but not to this extent--correct me im wrong Tom--at least its not made the calendar of veents on the website.And also on Nov 7th--the Grand illumination event will be held out at the interpretive center.

mona

This is the first time we have held these walks/talks on the anniversary. If we do them again next year will depend alot on the turnout we get this year :D

All of these programs have been given before (though not over a three day period) to various groups over the years. I particularly like the walk to the site of Battery Powell and then on through the historic district to the railroad crossroads. So much history in just a few short blocks. My favorite though is Davis Bridge and I never pass up the opportunity to go there.

The Blue and Gray is available at the bookstore at Corinth or Shiloh. If I sign it it will only bring down the value. :)

Sharon, your copy is in the mail.

Tom

The Blue and Gray is available at the bookstore at Corinth or Shiloh. If I sign it it will only bring down the value.

Somehow I don't think that's true, but next time I'm over that way I'm gonna run the risk. :D

I hope you have a good turnout, and decide on a repeat performance next year. I'd like to take part.

Perry

Hi The car caravan did go off with very little attendance-I was the only to attend each one.When I get caught up at work(when i take 2 days offthis time of year it takes a while to get  caught up)I will post my report--so yall get out your blue and gray on Corinth and the new on on Davis Bridge--thenit;ll be easier to follow us.

Mona

Well I just spent 1.25 hr here at this computer  putting in the first of the Coritnth report and hit some key and by accident it all went awayand now ive got to get to work.so maybe I'll have time tommorrow.I'll try again I type to slow for this to happen!!

mona:(;)

Mona, you thought that they invented computers to make youir life easier, didn't you?  The real reason is a plot by the geeks to drive us stark raving mad.  You'll know it's working when you see flocks of raging bulls overhead.

Jim

OK heres another try--it was a good thing that i was on a library computer as if not I'd probably have smashed it!

It'd help if you all got out your corinth mapsfron the Blue and Gray issue(I know you all have it) Oct 3rd AM

We began in the IC with ranger Tom Parson going over the plan of Van Dorn to approach corinth from the NWSo beginning in Ripley MS on sept.29th he struck out n on the Pocahantas rd and travelled to Metamora it was about here that he turned east on State Line rd--here he left his supply wagons between the Hatchie and tuscumbia rivers.Also here is where the troops filled their canteens--for the last time--in the tuscumbia river.((The entire SE had undergone a horrific summer long drought--so there was no water in any steams,creeks,ponds from this point on.also it had been and would continue through out this conflictto 100+F in October!))At Chewalla they turned down to approach Corinth and meet up with Union troops About Alexanders Crossroads(this was our first stop)In this area it is still very rural .In this area the Confederate troops advanced upon the Union forces and pushed them back along Cane Creek(dry now)bottom.theunion troops were contnuing to fight as they feel back to "Olivers Hill"where they took hold in some of Beuaregards old earthworks.we then moved to the top of the hill(to an area that soon will be a trailhead for cleared trail down to some of the remaining earthworks)More discussion of the fighting that took place here and the union contoinued to falll back.Then we drove over to Battery F(These batteries A--F built in June for 4 peices of artilleryHalleck's intention at that time was to extend the Confederate earthworks to surround all of corinth and the RR--but Grant put a stop to it and Halleck finished it as 7 forts.In approaching this area Moores men stop in some Union camps to rest and eat and get some water ,then they cross over the mobile and Charselton RRto approach Left flank of MacArthur and his men at Battery F(Jim heres where you 16th wis gets in action)Olivers men who were in action earlier in the morning have fell out of action.The battle continues and the confererate troops get and extra help to push the Union troops south as the 1st Missouire appaer in the right place in the right time on the union left.Lovell is sitting back--hasnt really played a part in all days battle.The Union troops file back in tocorinth  not followed by the Confedrerates troops who "will finish them tommorrow--heard that before??All troops want to do is try to reorganize and get some WATER!! and rest

Oct 3rd afternoon  Ranger Charlie Spearman drives us to explain the fighting on the Union right.

Drove out to the NNw to an area that Davis was holding in Union right from attack from Gen Price(this area is very very ruggged)Confederate troops under Hebert-Colbert and Green--advance and the confederate artillery began to fire untill they run out of ammo.As noite falls davis has lost 1/3 of his men and Fuller replaces him the next day.This nite is cool and troops are instucted to not have camp fire--just rest,rehydrate--the Union troops are provided water from supply wagons bringing up water from well in the city and south.Then we loaed up and on way back to the IC drove by the site of the "White House" A home that was right in the path of battlethat ends the first day and I better stop befoer all is erased.Maybe after the Illumination tommorrow calcav can fill in anything (i know theres much)I left out.But riding out with them--there iso much to talk about just going down the raods.Also for you aviation buffs when we were going out to battery F Tom pointed out the site of a house that Roscoe Turner lived--google him a very interesting person--also he flew with a lion cub named Gilmore.if your every visiting the corinth area make sure you go to the Crossroads Museum--I know you must go there as you can see the RR crossing--and see their Civil War and Roscoe Turner exhibits>I'll continue with the Oct 4th after the Illumnation got to go to work.

Mona

Here's Maj. Thomas Reynolds report in the OR on the 1st day:

HDQRS. SIXTEENTH REGIMENT WISCONSIN VOLS.,

Camp near the Seminary, Miss., October 11, 1862.

SIR: In compliance with Orders, Number -, I have the honor to make the following report:

On Thursday, October 2, at 11 p.m., in compliance with your orders, I marched my command to a point on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad near the residence of Mr. Alexander, and there remained, doing picket duty, until 6 o'clock the following morning, when I was ordered to fall back and report my regiment at the brigade headquarters. Here I received orders to rest the men and provide them with refreshments. At 9 o'clock I was ordered to march immediately and report to Colonel Oliver, commanding the Second Brigade, who was engaging the enemy then where the Memphis and Charleston Railroad crosses the Chewalla pike road. Colonel Oliver ordered me, immediately on my arrival, to advance two companies as skirmishers and hold the balance of my command as a reserve. The skirmishers were not out more than an hour till they were driven in by superior numbers of the enemy, when they again joined me. The enemy now appeared in great force on the left of our line of battle, firing a terrible volley into our ranks, causing our men to waver and fall back. I was then ordered by General McArthur to advance the Sixteenth Wisconsin to the front and engage the enemy. This was done promptly, and every officer and soldier appeared anxious to meet the enemy. The contest here was very severe, but not a man in my command moved from his position until ordered to fall back, notwithstanding the enemy in overwhelming force were within a few rods of us and nearly surrounding us. A new line of defense was immediately formed, with my command on the extreme left, and here again we encountered the enemy, doing effective service in keeping him in check during the balance of the day. In the evening we marched into town and lay all night upon our arms.

Jim

Out 4th am we meet at the IC and was driven by Ranger Tom Parsons down to the intersection below the hill toward toward town.He began by detailing Van Dorn's arranged predawn attack planned the evening prior witha ll divisions in the same order of alignment as the day before.When dawn came there had been no action.Hebert had become ill during the nite ans didnt inform Van Dorn that he was unable to carry out his plans nor had he briefed his Sr Brigade Commander Martin Green of the early moring plans.When finally learning of this attack Green asked that he be able to "scout" around first/.The about 10am he was ready but the intended effect of suprise was now lost.The confederatetroops preformed a right wheel and advanced up town toard Battery Powell.This is where we now tyraveled through town--a little infor on important house and house sites as we drove trough town to the site of battery powell.Here Gates Division of Greens advanced and overran Battery Powell.dubois cave inatntly and most Union troops except 57Ill--they hold their postion and come over to right to fill in he gap but now there is a lasrge hole to y=the let all the way to the RR crossing The Confederate forces move into town in a mob force.Then e drove down to the crosrioad/depot area.The fighting cotinued through town and the Union troops received reinforcementshowever there were none for the Confederates.So te Confederate rtoops we pushed back in great disorderby eary afternoon.van Dorn was headed back to the Northwest almost the way he came in a day earlier back to camp at Chewalla hill area.That evening Van Dorn devised aplan to amrch opff to Kossuth and attack fron the SW but Gen Maury and others finally persuaded him not too as the men were exhausted  and dehydrated .

Now Jim If one could print this off it'd be wonderfull--reading this on screen turns my eyes inside out.So if anybody can walk me through printing this i could go to a friend's --the library charges $o.50/page!!In baby steps -i wil print this ASAP>When you all read this and my reports of the Corinth/Davis bridge--You eally cant get it all esp at Davis bridge how much the environment and lay of the land will play in this action.

Mona

I'm fortunate to have a wife who's G-Aunt lives right across the tracks from Battery F. She and her late husband originally owned approx. 150 acres going along the north side of the tracks all the way to where the White House stood. The portion of the property which is east of Hwy 45 was sold when the highway was built but they still own approx. 30-40 acres on the west side. I've found a few things so far, but it's been picked over the years. I went over to Battery F and took some pictures this past Spring, I think from and towards her property. Can't remember if I included them or not in the post without going back and looking.

Nix that, I found them.

Battery F marker

batteryfmarker.jpg

Battery F placard

batteryplacard.jpg

Inside Battery F

insidebatteryf.jpg

Looking North from the bottom of the hill on the North side of Battery F where Maury's Division crossed the railroad and flanked the battery. Wife's G-Aunts's property is the trees and fields you can see on the other side of the then, Memphis & Charleston railroad. There is no telling what this lake has underneath it.

batteryflookingtowardssally.jpg

Looking back up the hill to the treeline of Battery F

batteryffrombottomofhill.jpg

Corinth Interpretive Center

CorinthInterpretiveCenter.jpg