Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

battle of Corinth anniversary hikes

If you go to Shiloh, beware of an old fat man with a beard, especially if he is riding a bicycle.

If anyone is interested, from info I've received, there will be a reenactment at Farmington, MS Sept. 17th - 19th 2010. Farmington is just East of Corinth. The 'Battle of Farmington', was in May 1862. Also there will be a program at the Farmington cemetery on the 18th honoring the Confederate veterans buried there. My g grandfather G.W. Voyles is buried there. He joined the Confederate army in Dec. 1864 at the age of 17. He actually ran away twice before to join, but his mother went and found him and took him back home those two times. How embarassing was that? She finally relented and gave her permission for him to join. He lived until Dec 2, 1940 when he died at the age of 93. At the time of his death, it was reported that he had been one of only two surviving Confederate veterans in Alcorn County MS.

Grandpa

Ha, that must have been pretty mortifying for your great-grandfather, Grandpa. Having Mom come and drag him home from army camp. :shock:  It reminds me of the scene from "The Horse Soldiers" where those young cadets are marching out to attack the Union troopers, and the mother of one young lad pleads with their commander/teacher to let her take him home. She gets her wish, and drags him kicking and screaming away from the column. Of course, he eventually climbed out an open window and ran off to join his friends anyway, before Mom had a chance to stop him. :)

I'm glad you posted the note about Farmington. Their mayor is a member on our Facebook group, and I think he sent out a notice about the reenactment. I'm going to post a notice about it on the Facebook site. Thanks for the reminder!

Perry

2010 Battle of Corinth Anniversary Tours----On Sunday Oct 3rdwill be the first day of car tour---But Also on that day the Texas Commission will be on the grounds at the Interpretive Center to dedicate the New Texas Monument(It will be like  the others- Pink granite but different text)  and then The WP Rodgers SCV camp will have a ceremony at the newly restored Rogers Monument downtown at Court Square--I''ll post the exact times later.Then on Monday the 4th and Tues the 5th will be more tours and out to Davis Bridge also.This schedule is supposed to be posted on the shiloh NPS site soon.I do hope some of you can come.Hopefully Calcav can keep us posted also.Mona Will take Pictures also

Also on sat Nov 6th at Corinth the will have the illuminaries--so all that can show up at 8am to set thgem and them visit with the camels (Douglas reinactor)their profram is good and the late afternooon light all the candles.Mona