Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Win a Free Book!

Hi folks,

Our humble little discussion group recently surpassed 100 members, and to celebrate we're going to have a couple of drawings for a free giveaway. Yes, I said a couple of drawings, even though I only mentioned one before now. Surprise. :)

This note will tell you about the free book drawing, and another note will describe the free subscription drawing.

Our first drawing is for a free book, provided courtesy of Bjorn Skaptason and the

Abraham Lincoln Bookshop, in Chicago, Illinois. As most of you know, Bjorn is a member of our discussion group, and is also a former park ranger at Shiloh. When he isn't busy leading anniversary hikes at the park or cheering for his beloved Kansas Jayhawks, Bjorn also runs VirtualBookSigning.net. Be sure to stop by his web site, and while you're there check out some of the past interviews on their archive page.

Thanks to Bjorn, the winner of our free book drawing will be able to choose among these five titles:

1. Joan Waugh's new biography of Grant: U.S. Grant: American Hero, American Myth, signed by the author.

2. Campaigning with Uncle Billy: The Civil War Memoirs of Sgt. Lyman S. Widney, 34th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, edited by Robert Girardi. Signed by the editor.

3. The Golden Age of Battlefield Preservation, by historian and former Shiloh park ranger Tim Smith.

4. The Shiloh Campaign, edited by Steven Woodworth.

5. The new, expanded edition of Sam Watkins classic memoir, Company Aytch.

So how do you go about entering the drawing? Simple - just post a reply to this note. That's all you have to do! Everyone who posts a reply anywhere in this thread will be automatically entered to win. But even if you post several replies, you can only be entered once. Sorry. ;)

Just as an FYI, everyone can enter both drawings, although you can only win one of them.

The contest will run through the end of November, and the winner will be notified by email or PM as soon as the drawing takes place. So be sure and post your reply so you'll be entered in the drawing!

Once again, I'd like to extend my thanks to Bjorn for helping us out with this. Be sure to stop by his web site at http://www.virtualbooksigning.net.

Perry

Hi Please Place my name in this drawing also--trying to double my luck.:DI hope placing this on Friday the 13th will not jinx any of us.

mona

As one of the new members, I would like to say that I look forward to the discussions and when I get time I will add some new material on the 16th Wis Vol Regiment.  I would be happy to enter the drawing as well.

Ralph O. Allen, Ph.D.

Professor of Chemistry, Environmental Sciences & Public Health Sciences

Associate Vice President for Research & Graduate Studies

Director of Environmental Health & Safety

P.O. Box 400322

Charlottesville, VA  22904

Idaho......

I've never tasted the brew, but I have an empty bottle of Chamberlain Ale sitting on my kitchen counter along side an empty bottle of Battleground Ale that has an inspiring picture of W. S. Hancock on the label. 

THE MANASSAS BELLE

Okay, all of you are entered for the book drawing. Although Eileen came seriously close to being disqualified with that Celtics comment. But we'll let it pass. For now.

Best of luck to everyone!

Perry

Being an honorable man I would expect NBF to draw fair and shoot straight! He was always up for a fair fight and engaged in many battles where he was severely out numbered, even then he won most of them.:)

OHHHHHHHH Belle: What I would give for a bottle of Chamberlain Pale Ale, empty or full. I have not been able to ascertain if such brew has made it this far west.

I will have to check out the Hancock bottle!

Belle: This link might show all the labels for Battleground Pale Ale. I see Alonzo Cushings little brother and other notables.

http://www.civilwarartist.com/civil_war_art.htm

Sharon

P. S. 54OVI Please note the striking pose of NBF.:devil:

Idaho.......

Is it true that NBF was also a Lakers fan?  :devil:

THE MANASSAS BELLE

P.S. 

Perry,

Is it a requirement for the winner of the book drawing to write a book review so all 103 of us can benefit from the book chosen? :shock:

Folks - I'd love to hear your feedback on my article on Grant and Rawlins in the last issue of Civil War Times Illustrated (if any one read it).

I no longer take the magazine but would love to read your article. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.historynet.com/who-kept-u-s-grant-sober.htm

Grant & Rawlins had an interesting relationship & it would be interesting to read your take on the subject.