Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Win a Free Book!

Sam's book has been enhanced by some of his personal notes when he was editing the book and notes he had made during the war. it makes it a more interesting read. I met his g-grandaughter at the last reenactment and she had some of the orginal material with her. that is a very written article Peter, learned a few things from it. thanks

Well, I'm very gratified by the response to the drawings. I guess free is a pretty popular thing. :) But you folks have really helped to make this a good board, and I appreciate that.

Perry

Great article, Peter.  One thing I've always felt about Grant's drinking problem was not that he was a heavy drinker when he did drink, but that he didn't hold his liquor well.  I have a few friends that suffer the same problem when they try to keep up with this old Cornishman.

Jim

Hi I haven't posted for some time, since our road trip, but I have been reading a lot.  We visited Atlanta twice this year and I read two books about Atlanta, "Atlanta and the War by Webb Garrison and "Atlanta 1864" by Richard M. McMurry.  I am fascinated by the connection of "Cump" Sherman at Shilo and his later exploits at Atlanta.

At Shilo I believe that Sherman, though at first surprised by the Confederate attack, recovered and fought bravely, and may have been insturmental in giving Grant time to regroup.

I wonder if Sherman's idea of Marching to the Sea, evolved after the Shilo conflict or was he already formulating the plan at or before Shilo?

Does anyone have any sources which delineate Sherman's thoughts about the Atlanta campaign?

RONUSMC

RonUSMC: I think Shiloh is way premature in any formulation of a plan by Sherman or anyone else to March to the Sea. Grant originally thought Shiloh might be the last big battle of the war before it was fought but he quickly decided afterwards that that was not the case. I do not think anyone saw any light at the end of the tunnel anywhere until after Vicksburg (and Gettysburg in the east) and latter Chattanooga. The Meridian Campaign (Feb. 1864) comes to mind as an example (as does the Vicksburg Campaign too) of the success of troops severing supply lines and living off the land, especially for Sherman. Before the Atlanta Campaign it has been noted that Thomas had the idea for a March to the Sea however Sherman is usually credited with the idea which I expect was formulated sometime after Chattanooga and Meridian.

others might read this and set me straight though:D

Got you down, Dennis. Everyone who posts here is automatically entered, so you're good to go. :)

On Sherman and his March, probably a good idea to start a new thread about that under the Personalities forum, but basically, I think idea for the March evolved out of a larger belief that the southern population had to be convinced that continued resistance was not worth the cost. That was something that itself evolved over the course of the war.

I believe Sherman began to think about undertaking such a march after the Meridian Campaign that Sharon mentioned. That campaign has been called a rehearsal for the the later march, and it really seems to have opened Sherman's eyes to the possibility. But, in a sense, Shiloh was something of a starting point for that idea, even though it was down the road quite a bit, and all but out of sight from April 1862. But Shiloh was a wake-up call for Grant, Sherman, and some others on the northern side, that the South was in it for the long-haul.

Sherman came to believe that they would not only have to defeat the South, but beat the South down to its knees before they would finally give it up. That was really the purpose of his March. To show them that "hard hand of war," and make them realize that the only way to not see it again was to give up the fight.

Perry

Thanks for putting me straight.  Sorry for posting to the wrong place, but I am not up to speed on where the best place to ask questions is.  I have a lot more questions to ask that information to contribute...I am just learning.  Thanks for the help!  I think an occasional drawing like this could really stimulate involvement...looks like it already has.

Could some one who knows their way around give em some counsel on where to place my questions?  Thanks

RONUSMC

Hi Ron,

That's okay, it's really not a big deal. Normally I try not to be too pig-headed about straying off topic in a thread, especially since I do it myself, but since the two drawings a little different than normal, I just want to make sure I don't miss anyone's entry. But you asked a perfectly good question about Sherman. One thing I never want to do on here is discourage folks from asking questions.

As to where a post should go on the board, it pretty much depends on what it pertains to. For a note related to Sherman for instance, if it may involve something he did outside of Shiloh, you could post it in the Personalities forum. But the best way to approach starting a new topic is to just look through the various forums on the board, and see if you find one that looks close. But if you're not sure, just take your best guess and post the note. I'd much rather someone post a note in the "wrong" place than not post it at all. And if I think it needs to be moved, I'll take care of it. It's honestly nothing major.

Just as an FYI, the Campfire Forum is something of a catch-all forum, where you can post just about anything, even if it isn't related to Shiloh. So if you're not sure where to post something, you can always post it there and be fine. All I really ask is that folks refrain from posting anything there about modern-day politics or religion. I figure talking about a civil war is controversial enough. :)

Glad to see you back on the board, by the way. Hope all is well with you.

Perry

Anyone notice we have just reached 300 members? Isn't it time for our illustrious leader to provide an all expenses paid trip to Shiloh contest to celebrate?

Jim

• Like 2