Shiloh Discussion Group
idaho native

Civil War Wives

Sharon, I managed to pick up one of the old "we were there" books about N.B.F.. it was one of the first books I read on Forrest proably at age 8 or 9, it is a treasure. Thanks for the link on C.W. wives some very interesting reading.

I thought these articles about wives were interesting. I think we often forget how wives and families suffered when the men went off to war. Some of the wives were absolutely amazing and I think can be credited with saving their husbands life, for example John B. Gordan's wife who nursed him after he was wounded 5 or 6 times at Antietam, and Francis Channing Barlow's wife who actually nursed him and others, she died during the war while working at a hospital. Amazing stories of fortitude and sacrifice. Think of James Longstreet who lost two young children to disease while he was campaigning and Lee's son who lost a wife and child to disease. Sherman's son died of typhoid fever he contacted while visiting his dad's encampment at Big Black River after Vicksburg. He lost another son who died without Sherman ever seeing him in 1864. The stories go on and on and many women "stepped up to the plate big time" during the war.