Shiloh Discussion Group
idaho native

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas - 12-19-09 Shiloh Hike

Oh what a treat it would be to be in the east to take pictures of battlefields shrouded in snow - right Belle. Hope you are out with your camera.

Hope someone posts a report on the Shiloh hike that was scheduled for today!!! Please!!

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!

Merry Christmas to you too Sharon, and to everyone else.  I have plenty of snow here with more coming down, but, alas, no pics of a hike to share.

Jim

Idaho.......

I have 20" of snow in my driveway and am sick in bed with a monstrous cold.  No battlefield wanderings in the snow for me!  Thanks for the Christmas wishes, though.

Hoping to be dug out by Spring!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

When Belle changed her avatar to a snowman, she didn't know how accurate it was going to be! Hope you get to feeling better very soon, Belle.

From what they're saying locally, we could end up with a Christmas Eve snow here in OKC. That would be nice, although I could do without the freezing rain they're saying could hit before then.

Either way, a very Merry Christmas to all of you.

Perry

Thanks for your kind offers, Idaho and Jim!

I hear a herd of raging bulls are on the way to stomp down the snow!  The snow drifted last night and it is a challenge to open both my front and back doors. Good thing I stocked up on food and essentials before the storm.

They showed a local navity scene on TV and the figures are almost covered to their necks in snow.  They hope to recover the Baby Jesus by Christmas!

This is a snowstorm of historical proportions here in DC.  In one day we not only exceeded the record snowfall for one day, but also for the entire month of December!

No doubt about it, we're going to have a White Christmas!

May your days be merry and bright.

THE MANASSAS BELLE

Hey Belle,

The herd is at your service.  I'll change the GPS coordinates immediately.  Good luck with the snow.

I live in southeast Michigan and we have an unusual situation here in that we  benefit from the effect of barometric pressure that builds up from the great lakes in my area.  It keeps a lot of the bad weather off of us but not all.  We get a quarter to a third of the snow that areas as close as 20 miles away get.  Less tornado's also.

Merry Christmas to everyone and to everyone , a good night.

Ron

no snow on the cannons at Shiloh! sat. was a great day for a walk in the woods, overcast, high 40's. we started at the Ohio zouave monument on stewart's left flank and made a wide sweep visiting an unmarked burial site, then on to the river just east of the peach orchard across the ravine to the first position of the 36th Ind. and col. William Grose at 10:00 a.m. on the 7th. then up their line to bloody pond back to Johnston's death site and back to stewart's headquarters. we then attempted a hike from the indian mounds to prussian bluff but the water was several feet deep in Asa dill's ravine. we then hiked from the crossroads (purdy and corinth) down Shiloh Ridge to Rhea spring visiting the confederate burial trench and the union burial site just east of the confederate trench. we also visited the camp site of two amateur historians from the early 1960's. we then hiked from Peabody's to the burial site near lost field and called it a day. there was much good discussion and banter, and as usual a bad day hiking at Shiloh is better than almost anything else!

Thanks CD.  I've been drooling over the weather in southern Tenn. in the paper everyday and figured your hike had great weather (by WI standards, anyway). 

Sounds like terrain & water foiled your flanking movement on the east (shades of 1862?), but you had much more succes in the center and on the west.

Jim

Hi  yes our hike was very informative and even the water being out just redirected our path some--Got to see the "Bobcat condos"on the bluff they even have river views.But even then there is plenty to see and troops to follow along with.Maybe next time more can fall in with us.The rain held and the Temp was just right for hiking.

Mona

The first exploration we did was go over to around Shady Grove and Cd Pointed out the location of the peach/pear/apple orchard and where the spring and "Cave" was--we couldnt safely walk in the woods d/t private lands and deer season.then drove up on eastern Rock hill and back in where Elsie lived.

Idaho......

When Perry is finished with that storm, he's sending it my way.  We have warning of an ice storm later tonight and early tomorrow morning.  Should look good on the mounds of snow we received last Saturday!  Did most of my cooking today just in case we lose power tomorrow.  I'm ready in any case.

Hope y'all in Idaho (and the rest of the Shiloh Discussion Board-ites) have a merry one!  Hope Santa is good to all of you!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

Thanks Sharon. We got hammered pretty good, but I'm okay. I think Eileen's storm from last week circled back around and hit Oklahoma this time. Locally they're saying we've got around a foot of snow so far, which I know isn't anything unusual for some of you, but it's a bunch for us. There was a 50-car pile-up on one of the local interstates this afternoon among other things, and the entire metro is basically shut down. Where's this global warming I keep hearing about? ;)

Hope everyone is having a safe and wonderful Christmas.

Perry

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!!!! I have been up reading a photo book about moose in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. Beautiful places to visit anytime of the year. The Shiras moose are spectacular creatures too. Hope you all have a great day. Sharon & Shiloh.