Shiloh Discussion Group
Ron

Stolen Cannon.

Just posted on Civil War Artillery Message Board by John Hughes. 

Stolen cannon, 6 pdr Brass field gun, Cyrus Alger, built 1845, Mark on muzzle, 298 on top, MV on bottom,

Also stolen is the trailer and limber,

Trailer is 2000 Haulmark, charcoal gray, vin#16HGB1834YHO65667, 18' car hauler, covered, has bullet hole decals up both sides and giant cannonball splat on back door. 

No 5 limber for US 6 pounder field gun. 

Stolen out of a private lot on January 5, in Dearborn Heights MI

Belongs to a member of Btry B, 1st Michigan L A

Reward for recovery, Dr. Bill Vecchioni, 313-277-1100 313-274-5412

Contact Dearborn Heights Police Officer Beaudree, 313-277-6770

Also lost is the entire gear for the battery packed in trailer. 

John Hughes is a known and respected reenactor and this will be a major loss to John and the battery.

Thanks

Ron Black

I'm now told this cannon is made of iron and is a reproduction gun.  The inspector's initials are really the initials of the owner. 

The artillery reenactors groups and members are posting to each other and they are greatly concerned about this theft.  The concern is for the owner, the gun and equipment of the battery and because the dollar value is large.  The possibility exists that these items may disappear from sight to a private person. 

Thanks if you can help

Ron

Moved this to the Campfire forum as the Announcements forum is really meant for announcements pertaining to the board. I hope they track down whoever stole the cannon. Strange, the things that some people will steal.

Perry

Great news.  The cannon has been recovered . The thieves probably got nerious when they found a cannon inside the trailer.  The only damage is broken locks.  It was wondwerful how the reenactor community marshaled forces against this theft.  Word was spread throughout the country within one day via the internet. 

Thanks

Ron

Jim, remind me never to get on your bad side. :)

Glad they recovered the cannon. Not too many places you can hide one of those things, it doesn't seem to me. Reminds me a little of something I learned about Billy the Kid's headstone, or rather footstone, when I saw his grave at Fort Sumner, New Mexico. The grave is enclosed by iron bars, apparently because people kept stealing the Kid's footstone. My question is, why? And what on earth would you do with it? I had the same reaction when reading about this stolen 6-pounder. Maybe sometimes, folks just steal something to be stealing it. But, I'm glad they got it back.

Perry

It appears to me that this theft was planned because they came with a truck with a proper trailer hitch and tools necessary to remove the hitch lock and the lock on the door.  They removed the trailer from the owners lot but did not know what was inside.  After they opened the trailer, in their surprise, they took only a battery and a few small items.  They left the trailer parked on a city street.  A neighbor became worried when he found a cannon in his neighborhood, and returned it. 

It is a serious matter when a theft occurs concerning a civil war cannon.  These guns have great value, some up to $60 K-75 K.  Think of this value as you look at all the cannons sitting around the battlefield parks.  Artillery collectors take measures to protect them, some in the hands of private collectors who refuse to list them on the "National Registry of Surviving Civil War Artillery" because they feel it is a list for thieves to search.  The military parks have their security procedures which they don't talk about (smart).  There have been cannons stolen in the past and they just disappear not to be seen again,. Gun owners and the civil war artillery reenactor people are very serious about this problem. 

In this latest instances, the news of the theft was spread nationally within 24 hours by using the internet web sites. I myself, know that word was received in Michigan, Virginia, Florida, Texas and Arizona, and certainly other states.  Two well known cannon authorities were notified, these gentlemen because many times, people with questions about a cannon are referred to them for info.  It this were to happen, the police would have been notified. I feel that if somebody took this cannon, they would not have any where to take it without a reenactor or collector spotting it. 

I very pleased that this time, the nefarious act failed.

Ron

I read early this am on another Civil war site of the recovery which is so good to hear.But I want to know why would someone have this all loaded up sitting out to be stolen--Why not pull the trailer in a building and locked up behind another locked gate/fence.and have a hitch lock.I guess if a thief is determend to steal they'll go through anything but at least i'd had a Ft Knox like sysytem protecting my stuff if i had something that valuable and irreplaceable.

Mona

P.S. i like jim would think the punishmentshould fit the crime.

Mona,

Interesting questions which I have only a partial answer for.  Perhaps the Doctor believed they were well protected, lock on trailer hitch and the doors, parked in a private lock, lets assume a fence but I have not heard about a fence.  The private parking lot was behind his denistry office.  Don't know about alarms, assume insurance as doctors know what insurance is for.  Also this arrangement may have been a temporary arrangement.  Looks like I'm asking as many questions as you did Mona.   

This incident will be a learning lesson for the doctor. 

Ron