Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Red Cross Donations for Haiti.

I'm sure by now all of us have seen and/or heard about the devastation caused by the earthquake in Haiti. One way we can all help is by making even a small donation through some charitable organization capable of getting aid to those people as quickly as possible. Below is a link to the Red Cross, where you can read more about what they're trying to do, along with information on how to make a donation....

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.94aae335470e233f6cf911df43181aa0/?vgnextoid=15c0c5a210826210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

I know we've all got a lot on our individual plates in dealing with our own issues in life. But I also know we're awfully fortunate to live in this country, and be afforded the opportunities it presents, even when times aren't the best. As hard as things might be for some of us right now, it's far worse for those poor folks in Haiti. Beyond words, from what I've seen. If you can spare anything at all, whether through the Red Cross or some other organization, consider it money very well spent. It may feel like a drop in the bucket to you and therefore not worth much. But when you put all those drops together, pretty soon you've got yourself an ocean. So if you think one donation isn't worth much, consider that the folks in Haiti might have another word for it. Priceless.

Thanks for doing what you can. Including your prayers. Those people need them.

Perry

It is overwhelming to look at the pictures from Haiti. A 7.0 magnitude earthquake is a whopper - movement on a strike-slip fault is an interesting geological phenomenon but it does not lessen the human tragedy.

You know, a disaster like that would be hard to deal with even here in the United States. But to hit a country like Haiti? Talk about kicking people when they're already down.

I've actually experienced a few very minor earthquakes here at my house in central Oklahoma. We're talking like 2 to 3 on the Richter scale is all, which is nothing really, but they got my attention. The first time it happened it felt like someone had literally slammed a car into the side of my house, and I initially thought it was either that or a bomb going off nearby. And that was for something like a 2.5 magnitude earthquake. Everyone on my street came outside, wondering what had happened.

Not long after, a slightly stronger quake hit during the night, and literally lifted part of my bed off the ground. It was just like someone stood at the foot of my bed and kicked it just as hard as they possibly could. And that was about a 3.0 quake.

A 7.0 earthquake? I don't really know much about earthquakes, but it's my understanding that going up one number on the scale means increasing the power of the quake by 100 times. So that a 7.0 earthquake would be 100 times more powerful than a 6.0 earthquake, rather than "just" 10 times more powerful. Having felt what only a 2 or 3 magnitude earthquake feels like, I can't even imagine getting slammed by one as powerful as what Haiti got hit with.

Perry