Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Lodging Near the Park

If you're planning on a visit to the park for the 2010 anniversary, or any other time for that matter, below is a list of hotels and campgrounds in the general area of the park. It's not a complete list, but it should help. Hopefully some of our local members who live near the park can help out with additional information.

Along with each listing I've included a link that shows a picture of the hotel/campground, along with it's location on a map. Also included is a link to the corresponding web site, when I found one.

When viewing the map, if you place your cursor over the picture and click and hold your mouse button, you can scroll around the picture and change the view. (You'll also see controls on the left side of the picture.) If you double-click when you see a white circle appear on the road, it will zoom you to that location. If you want, you can "travel" around the main roads like this, and look around some. A way to visit before you visit.

Finally, beside the name of each town, in parenthesis, is the approximate driving distance to the park.

Hotels

Savannah (10 miles)

1. Days Inn - This is the only hotel I've ever stayed at in Savannah, so I can speak from personal experience about it. Bottom line, it's nothing fancy, but it's a nice place to stay. Clean rooms, friendly & helpful staff, and I've never had an issue of any kind. This would be my own first choice for staying in Savannah, although the Comfort Inn is probably just as good. Just as an FYI, the Days Inn and Comfort Inn are right beside each other. In the picture below, you'll see the Comfort Inn just beyond the Days Inn. They're on the south side of town, and it's about 12 miles to the park from both.

Web Site  

Map & Picture

Address - 1695 Pickwick Rd (State Highway 128)

Reservations - 1-800-329-7466, or 731-925-5505 (direct)

2. Comfort Inn - As mentioned, this is right next door to the Days Inn. I've never stayed here, but so far as I know it's a good hotel.

Web Site

Map & Picture

Address - 1645 Pickwick Road (State Highway 128)

Reservations - 1-877-424-6423, or 731-925-1100

3. Savannah Lodge - Perhaps a mile or so north of the two hotels above. I don't know anything about this one.

Web Site

Map & Picture

Address - 585 Pickwick Road (State Highway 128)

Reservations - 731-925-8586

4. Savannah Motel - I don't know anything about this motel, other than it is not far from the Tennessee River bridge. No web site that I can find, although I did locate one brief review from June of 2009, which I've linked in below.

Review of Savannah Motel

Map & Picture

Address - 40 Adams Street

Reservations - 731-925-3392

5. The Historic Botel - Not familiar with this place, but it looks to be more of a resort. They list their address as Savannah, but it's actually located several miles to the south, right on the Tennessee River. It's south of Shiloh, and is actually closer to Pickwick Landing State Park than to Savannah. No pricing information that I can find, so you apparently have to contact them directly to learn how big a bank account you'll need to stay there. :)

Web Site

Map - No accompanying picture. (Street view only works on the main roads.)The hotel is located where you see the "A" on the map.

Adamsville (10 miles)

Deerfield Inn - Haven't stayed in the hotels in Adamsville or Crump, so I really can't speak to them one way or the other. No web site on this hotel that I could find, although I've noted while driving past it on the way to Savannah that it looks fine from the outside. I found a brief review dating to 2006 that I've linked in, below, along with another site containing some basic information.

Review of Deerfield Inn

Overview from Yahoo Local

Map & Picture

Address - 414 East Main Street

Reservations - 731-632-2100

Crump (7 miles)

River Heights Motel - At about seven miles, this is the closest motel to the park. Can't find a review but I've linked in a couple of sites below with some basic information. The Orbitz site has 9 pictures. Click the "Overview" and "Features" tabs for more on the motel.

Google information

Orbitz information & pictures

Map & Picture

Address - 3960 U.S. 64

Reservations - 731-632-4535

Pickwick Landing State Park (16 miles)

Pickwick Landing State Park Inn & Cabins - I guess this could qualify as quasi-camping if you stay in one of the cabins. South of Shiloh along the Tennessee River. Absolutely beautiful area. I've yet to stay at the Inn but I've heard very good things about it from people who have.

Main Park Web Site

Lodging Information

Reservation Page (Secure page)

Map (No accompanying picture - The lodge is inside the park and not on major road.)

Phone - 1-800-250-8615

Counce (Google Shows 14 miles from Counce to Shiloh, but the first two hotels below are farther south than that.)

1. Hampton Inn - A few miles south of Pickwick Landing State Park, along Highway 57, and therefore a bit further from Shiloh. I'd rough-guess it at 20 miles.

Web Site

Map & Picture

Address - 90 Old South Road (Just east of Highway 57)

Phone - 731-689-3031

2. Little Andy's Sportsmen's Lodge - A few miles east of the state park. No web site, and I didn't find any reviews.

Map & Picture

Address - 7255 Highway 57

Phone - 731-689-3750

3. Stonebrook Inn - Looks to be a couple of miles or so south of the Hampton Inn, also on Highway 57. No web site that I could find. Below is a brief overview along with one guest review from Priceline.com. The review dates from 2007, and unfortunately is not very favorable.

Priceline Review

Map & Picture

Address - 21 Wayson Lane (Just off Highway 57)

Reservations - 731-689-4700

Corinth (22 miles)

(Note - I haven't stayed at a hotel in Corinth in over 20 years, so I can't speak to any of them. I've included a link to tripadvisor.com for reviews of the hotels below.)

1. Holiday Inn Express

Web Site

Reviews

Map & Picture

Address - 2106 U.S. Highway 72 West & Highway 45 Bypass

Phone - 662-287-1407

Comfort Inn

Web Site

Reviews

Map & Picture (Just to the right of the Waffle House :))

Address - 2101 Highway 72 West

Phone - 662-287-4421

3. Hampton Inn

Web Site

Reviews

Map & Picture

Address - 2107 Highway 72 West

Phone - 662-286-5949

4. Econo Lodge

Web Site

Reviews

Map & Picture

Address - 2104 Highway 72 West

Phone - 662-286-6071

5. The General's Quarters (Bed & Breakfast)

Web Site

Reviews

Map & Picture

Address - 924 North Filmore Street

Phone - 662-286-3325

Campgrounds

Shiloh (0) :)

Battlefield Campground - Unless you live nearby or can stay with someone who does, this is as close to Shiloh as you can get for accommodations. It's on the south side of the park, just across Highway 22. You can literally walk into the park from your campsite. There is a small store and gas station nearby. I've stayed there once, in the mid-90's, when tent camping. From what I've been told, it's mainly for scout troops when they visit the area, although there are RV sites with hookups on the grounds. There is an on-site restroom with showers, and when I was there they had hot water. :)

The place is nothing fancy, and in fact is a little on the run-down side, but if all you need is a place to flop for the night while you're spending time at Shiloh, and you'd rather camp than stay in a hotel, this would do it. I don't know what the price is anymore, but in 1995 I paid a total of $25 for 4 nights. :)

Map & Picture

Phone - 731-689-3098

Savannah (13 miles)

Green Acres RV Park - I stayed here in 2008. Didn't really spend a lot of time there, again, due to being at Shiloh most of the time, but it was clean, quiet, and the folks who run it were very friendly. If you're used to camping in a state park environment or something similar, this park might be a little too open for your tastes. (See the aerial view link on their main web site.) But as with the Battlefield Campground, if all you need is a place to sleep and little else, this campground should do the job nicely. Note though, that you're a few miles south of Savannah here, so the drive to and from Shiloh is a little longer as reflected in the distance above.

Web Site

Map & Picture

Address - 215 Ziffel Circle (East side of Highway 128)

Reservations - 731-926-1928

Pickwick Landing State Park (16 miles)

Pickwick Landing State Park - This park does not take reservations, so all you do is show up. And hope they have a spot for you. If you're going in April though, it shouldn't be a problem. And barring really bad weather, you won't regret camping here. The first link below has the basic information you'll need if you're in an RV. There is also a primitive campground on the north side of the river, for the more adventurous among us. The second link is just a slideshow of various campsites at the park. For whatever it's worth, this is my idea of a campground. :)

Camping Information

Slideshow

Map

That's all for now. We may add more to this and/or fill it out a bit as time goes by.

Perry

I have stayed at the Pickwick Inn the last couple of times I have been to the park..  Last year I think it was $65 a night..  Really nice digs..  Got a restaurant there.. Buffet was pretty good..  I think those rates were off season rates..  I recommend it..

T.V.A. has a very nice campground just below the dam on the north side of the river. they do not take reservations but there are always spots available they have bathhouses  and tables and some hook-ups. A-#1 campground. and if you get really desperate for a place to camp I have two acres of level field that adjoins the park. if you call for reservations at pickwick landing state park and are informed they are full there is a good chance you can still get a room if you contact someone from the shiloh area. they are required to hold some rooms in reserve for the state v.i.p's.

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in both Corinth and Savannah last year. The prices was quite reasonable, as I recall less than $60 per night. The Comfort Inn is Savannah was very nice, the Comfort Inn in Corinth left a little to be desired.

I like the idea of the battlefield campground. How delightful it would be to crawl out of your tent in the morning & with camera in hand & head out for the battlefield at first light & also to be there at dark.

Gosh CD Maybe I could reserve a spot for my tent on your two acres. Cannot come this year however.

Very Good information CD and April will be here before you know it.On the lodging available .In years past I've heard good reports like above from each of those and the campgrounds.The Botel.Little Andys.River hieghts have issues from what individuals that have stayed there described to --I wont go into the gorey details.I have lots of acres to camp but I'm 17 miles away so the campgroud at the park and greenaacres and Pickwick are the closest.Also for those whomight plan on staying several days there are some cabins available to rent in the Pickwick area.If I can be of any help let me know.

MonA

When I was a teenager, my father and I camped at that TVA campground a few times when visiting the park. I hadn't been over to see it in quite a few years before doing so when I was at Shiloh in 2000, I think it was. I don't know if it was my memory playing tricks on me or not, but it looked almost exactly as I remembered it. Very nice campground.

I also remember that we learned about the campground from someone at the park during one of our early visits. Dad had a truck camper that we used to go seemingly everywhere in. I loved that old thing.

Sharon - You mentioned how nice it would be to just roll out of bed and walk over to the park. Yes, it was pretty nice, and it was very quiet at night, except for the occasional car or truck rumbling past on the highway.

Also, one night I was serenaded by a couple of owls. My tent was directly below a tree, and an owl perched himself up there one night and started calling to his buddy, who I think was in a tree over in or near the park. The two of them called back and forth for quite a while. No other sound anywhere, just those two owls. It was wonderful just to lay there and listen to them.

Another night I snapped awake after swearing I heard someone walking up to my tent and stopping right outside. I heard them swishing their way through the leaves right up to my tent, then the footsteps came to a stop. This was like two in the morning. You might say it got my attention. I listened for a few moments without hearing anything else, and finally summoned up the courage to go outside and look around. Not only wasn't anyone there, but there weren't any leaves anywhere near my tent.

I'm sure it was a dream - the campground is right in the middle of where the Confederates spent the night on April 5th, and my mind probably used that fact to play a joke on me - but even now I can hear those footsteps just as plain as day coming through those leaves. For a dream, it was way too realistic. :)

Perry