Shiloh Discussion Group
Guest 23RD TENN

geneology

Guest 23RD TENN

for those of you that get into geneology will appreciate the following story, or rather a couple of stories.

some years back when I was doing research on one of my families and before I knew who one ancestor was. I happened to come across something that was very funny. Actually a friend of mine here at work told me to come and read it. There was a fellow that was listed as being detailed during the war to go back to his home and round up and arrest deserters. It give the date as being June of 1863. Then it went on to say how the same guy deserted in Sept. of 63. sort of found it ironic that you send a guy to arrest deserters and he becomes one himself. The thing was the guy had my last name, but I had no clue that he'd end up related. at the time I was still hunting for my gg grandfather. Sometime later I finally found the missing piece of the puzzle, turned out the deserter was my very own GG grandfather. Which wasn't that uncommon considering he was from the north Georgia mountains.  He ended up joining a union cavalry regiment and served in it for the rest of the war.

Years later while researching another branch of my family tree I found several brothers who were all in the 23rd Tenn together. One being my GGG grandfather from my mothers family. He was discharged in Dec. 1862, but one brother stayed in for the duration and was paroled at Appomatox. Anyways I later found out that out of neccesity he joined a union cavalry regiment.  Then in the last day or so I was doing some checking on another ancestor and decided to do some more reading on my GG grandfather's union regiment he served in, the 10th Tennessee union cavalry. It was then that it struck me, I've come across someone else that was in that regiment. Pulled up the info on my other member and sure enough it was the same unit. The one was in company H and the other in company K. It was one of those things that will make you go hummmmmmm. Here was two men, one from the north Georgia mountains and the other from southern middle Tennessee, separated by around 250 to 300 miles that ended up in the same regiment that 90 years later had decendants that was married..

not sure if they knew each other, but if they did it didn't lead to anything. The one went back to Georgia and died there in the 1890's and the other returned to Wayne county Tenn. it was 60 years after the war before my Georgia family moved to the area where the others lived. Anyways just something I wanted to share with everyone.

23rd Tenn

Hey 23rd Tenn

Yep doing family research one can find out very interesting things.

Here is a good one for you

My GG Grandfather on my Daddy's side died of Typhoid Fever in August 1862, left a wife and 3 kids. She never remarried  But in 1865 she had a woods colt (son) mmmm

my my. Daddy said when my mother found this out He said H_ _ _ , folks got together even back then. Dad figured on of grandpappys army buddies came by and the had a couple of drinks of cat whiskey and had a spend the night party,lol

My family is notes for making cat whiskey,lol

I use lots of the old folks terms alot. When my youngest daughter got married last yr, I told my son in law, if you ever lay a hand on her , I will break my foot in your  _ _ _, and I can put you into places even God is a freed to go. He turned ashy and said yes sir!! Now I have even got him to go coon hunting with me some, he has begun to get out of some of those city ways,lol