Shiloh Discussion Group
Ron

Farmer named Cantrell

Does anybody know if a local farmer with last name of Cantrell (Noah Cantrell?) farm a field near the Seay field or below the Rea field at the time of the battle?

Also is it true that Noah Cantrell and his family fled from their farm on the Hamburg-Savannah road before or during the battle and never returned?

Ron 

Ron,

I don't know about this for sure, but I suspect the Cantrell referred to here is someone who was living on the grounds when the park was created, as opposed to living there at the time of the battle, and their barn was across Reconnoitering Road from the marker. I think you said under the other topic that Reed probably wrote the descriptions shown on the NPS web site, and I think you're probably right about that. I also suspect the reference to "SE" in "SE Corner of Seay Field" is actually supposed to be "NE", and it was just written down wrong.

On the Cantrell family that was living in the area at the time of the battle, I remember a family descendant I met on the anniversary hikes telling me that he thought they had moved to Texas shortly before Grant's army arrived, and never came back. I could have that wrong, but it's what I remember him telling me.

Even so, my guess would be that the "OHP Cantrell" referred to in the description on the NPS web site was probably related to Noah Cantrell in some way. It could just be a coincidence that they had the same last name, but it seems more likely to me that they were related. I would bet Tom or C.D. could shed some light on it.

Perry

at the time of the battle the cantrell place was just south east of stewart's camp. I suspect that the hospital cabin was the cantrell's that left for texas. part of the cantrell's stayed behind, one of the one's who stayed was a grandmother and two of her grandchildren. I think they were the one's who hid under the riverbank from sunday morning until tues morning when they sought refuge with the families that lived further out. on some maps they show the cantrell land, the shakerag church was located on this land just on the bluff above the river bottom. which makes sense as the cantrell's had several slave families. I will have to check but I think Noah was the one with all the slaves who moved to texas as the union army moved onto the bluff at shiloh. the cantrell's bought the land from a man named robertson who received two grants for two hundred acres each in 1825, the cantrell's bought the land in the mid 1830's. some of the cantrell's descendants still live in hardin county south of shiloh just north of the miss. state line. sorry about that I left you hanging on the church deal but most of the shakerag churchs were slave churchs with a few others being churc hs for coal miners and others. just as a sidenote one of the churchs frequented by Elvis in Tupelo was a shakerag church.

• Like 1

I came across this discussion while looking for info on the War Cabin and my family's connection to it. I joined up so I could add my 2 cents to the conversation. My great-grandmother, Cullister Hayes was known to have lived in the cabin for some time. She said that she had moved in with "Uncle Nel". That would be John Nelson Cantrell. He had a younger brother named Oliver Perry Cantrell. I presume this is the OHP (Oliver Hazard Perry) that is referred to above, though I haven't found the reference myself. I haven't found a connection to Noah but I'm sure it exists. I don't have all the Cantrell data, just my line. Hope this helps.

My grandmother, Cullister's daughter, lived on state-line road at Hwy 2, later a half mile south of there.

• Like 1

JR, welcome to the board, and thanks for adding to the discussion here. I would recommend you also read through the posts in the Russian Tenant Field topic here in the Local Civilians forum, as I think you'll find them interesting given your family connections to the Manse George War Cabin. Especially the posts there by CD and Duane. Just based on the name you provided for OHP Cantrell, and the fact that the cabin originally came from Perry Field, I'm guessing there was family connection with the Perry's as well as the Cantrell's.

Jim also mentioned Steve Cantrell, whom we've both met on the anniversary hikes, albeit at different times. Steve's family owned property on the southeast edge of the park, where Stuart's brigade set up camp prior to the battle. So it sounds like the two of you could be related as well.

Perry

Thanks Perry.

Here's an excerpt from a family webpage, written by my 2nd cousin, Ruth Dalton, who has done the most research. She is old enough to have overheard conversations by people who were there.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/a/l/Christopher-R-Dalton/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0036.html

"James W. Cantrell's home was used as a hospital during the Battle of Shiloh, and although he had died in l858, his second wife, Eunice, and their children were living in the home just before the battle. Also one of James' sons, John N. (the Uncle Nel I mentioned before-jrd) and his wife and Children were living just down the hill and they were all warned by scouts that there would be a large battle in just a few days and they should vacate well away from the premices. They loaded covered wagons with as much belongings, clothes, food, and supplies as possible, and tied a milk cow to the back of each wagon and headed toward Corinth, Ms. It is not known by me just how far away they traveled, but they did survive, but it is doubtful they could again live in their homes there. Contrary to what is printed on markers in the park, the Cantrells had some men move the old log cabin now displayed inside the park moved to near its present location for different family members to live in. The first field tent hospital in history of the Army was set up just behind James Cantrell's home. Inside the home was used for surgery.

In the l890s, when the National Military Park Systen sent historians to Shiloh, Tn. to gather the history of the area and determine where the important spots were to mark and give a blt of the history of the spot, the Cantrell men would tell them nothing. They resented their community being so torn up. Actually the Cantrell property was in the middle of the worst part of the battle. When Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston was shot, he was pulled down into a ravine which was a part of John N. Cantrell's horse lot behind his barn."

Jim

• Like 2

My Howells lived on three different properties at Pittsburg. One of my uncles, David Howell, or Doctor Rainey Howell married Truza Cantrell. I wonder if he married one of those girls from that same family.

Roger