Shiloh Discussion Group
chopper

Meeks on Shiloh Park

My Grandfather grew up either on or very near Shiloh Park.  He told me as kids they rolled cannon balls down the concrete gutters (he was born in 1913).  His father's name was George Washington Meeks.  Unfortunately he passed away before I was old enough maturity wise to think to ask him if he actually lived on the park or was visiting relatives there.  Can anyone provide me with any information that can help?

Sincerely,

C Hopper

your g grandfather lived close to adamsville, approx 8 miles from the park. it sounds as though your grandfather may have been speaking of the area behind the maintaince bldg the park used to keep the extra cannonballs stacked or rather just thrown behind the building and the washes there were concrete. On the 30th of may folks would come from miles around to celebrate memorial day, everyone would bring a dinner and stay all day. there were speakers who had been soldiers at the battle, gospel groups would sing and people would decorate the graves of soldiers with special attention paid to the burial trenches. and of course all the children would play on the cemetery walls,with the cannonballs, on the cannon, in dill branch ravine. the pavilion was located on the east side of the large gully that runs up from dill branch almost due south of the bookstore.I remember being there in 1953 and hearing the last confederate soldier speaking at this event, of course I can't remember anything he said but I do remember my father coming to get me when it was time for him to speak, he said it was important for me to hear him. I can remember what he looked like because he looked very frail in his gray uniform,but he did stand to speak. I believe he was 103 at the time, he had served in the texas calvary. sorry didn't mean to ramble. have you spoken with Billy Waggoner? he may have some info on your g grandfather.

CD, thanks for the information.  My Mom always wants to come back over there on the 30th of May and I didn't realize that they also had the events at Shiloh that you describe.  I am glad to hear of the speical attention made to the burial trenchs. You were lucky to have been there and hear the last Confederate soldier speaking in 1953.  I can tell it made an impression on you. 

I would like to contact Bill Waggoner[user=96] [/user]and see what I can find out.  Doc Meeks came to my Grand Dad's funeral in 1988.  Of all the things that happened around that time he made an impression on me because he looked so much like my Grand Dad.  I would like to figure out exactly how he and Doc are related.  My Mom says they were cousins.  My email is whopper@sc.rr.com or via cell phone at (843) 991-0497.

My Grand Dad must have played on the battlefield as a kid because he said he had a pile of cannon balls he had accumulated and left under his house. 

Thanks Again CD,

Cecil Hopper

Summerville, SC

Chopper,

Mona beat me to the answer. However, I'm pretty sure his wife still lives there on the place. She might be able to provide you with some family information.

Grandpa

Thank you Grandpa.  My folks and I are planning on visiting our relatives in McNairy at the end of May.  I'll check in on Mrs. Meeks and see if she would like some visitors. I would like to verify my Meeks line w/ Doc's line if I could.

Sincerely,

C Hopper

Hey CD.  When I first got into geneaology (which really isn't all that long ago) I thought that my Meeks line went back to John Henderson Meeks.  I knew I was looking for a Mary Meeks who had a son that was born in 1876 named George Meeks and I wasn't sure of the fathers name.  Come to find out that there was a George E Meeks born to George Meeks son of John Henderson Meeks and a George Washington Meeks born to a Thomas M Meek/s (my ancestor).  My George's mom was also named Mary (Mary J Dollar).  So you see things can get pretty confusing putting your ancestry together.

Regards,

Cecil Hopper

The Meeks family owned the property around the buildings at the Pittsburg Landing but they did not own the buildings at the landing.  This was about 1895 when the Government was trying to buy the land for the new park.

Ron