Shiloh Discussion Group
chopper

Crews Infantry Battalion

Does anyone know where I may find any details on Crews Infantry Battalion? Beyond what's on the web.  Would anywhere in McNairy or Hardin County have any information you think?

Thanks

C Hopper

All of the above. 

The ultimate question that I have is is the T W Meek listed in the Crews Battalion Roster my ancestor Thomas M Meek that lived in Adamsville in the 1860s?  My Grandfather (Raymond Meeks) always said that we had an ancestor at the Battle of Shiloh.  His father was George Washington Meek/s who's father was Thomas M Meek.

I have looked using Ancestry.com and can find no one with the initials "T W" from the McNairy/Hardin County area in the 1860s.  I was thinking that maybe they flipped the middle initial upside down.

I have seen the roster that the National Park Service website has. 

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions/help.

Thanks,

Cecil Hopper

have you researched the roster for co.F, ninth kentucky infantry. this is the unit that fought at shiloh, these men were recruited in savannah in jan. 1862 travelled to murfreesboro, knoxville then to huntsville and on to burnsville from where they travelled to shiloh several of the men from shiloh were in this unit. in may they were transferred to the 34th tennessee.

Thanks CD.  I have not tried that.  I did find a J H Meek in the 9th Kentucky from the right regiment.  I'll bet he is a relative because Thomas Meek's father's name was John.  There was also a James in the family of age in the Adamsville area.  I did find quite a few Meeks in the 34th.  They even have a Thomas Meeks listed, twice.  One has a middle initial of J though so it may not be my ancestor.  The regiment they are listed in was from Jackson Alabama according to the Tenn Gen Web Project.

Thanks A Lot for your help.

Cecil

CD, I do as well.  I live near Charleston SC and we find a lot of Colonial and Revolutionary War stuff.  Most of the Civil War sites are built over or a National Park. 

Where you are at in sacred ground to me of course with all the history there and my Mom's and my ancestory over there.  Maybe one of these days when I am over there we can go relic hunting?  I would gladly return the favor if you are ever in Charleston SC.

Regards,

Cecil

My email is whopper@sc.rr.com

you very much have a deal, at one time I had a 100 pound schenkel from charleston, I traded for it and have since traded it again. but I would love to hunt in S.C.