Shiloh Discussion Group
Wordpix John

Bullet Identity

Can anyone identify these bullets? This is not a contest or a trick question. I'm curious to know how much anyone can tell me by looking at this picture. Thanks.

John

attachment.php?id=69

John' it appears you have from left to right a federal issue three ring .69, a federal issue three ring .57 that has been fired but travelled freely until spent, a fired federal issue .54, #4 appears to be a flattened .57,#5 is a .57 that has been fired and hit someone or something #6 is a .69 musket ball proably cast in the field.

yes # 6 was loaded in most cases with three buck on top, a lot of these will have the indentations where the buck was rammed, it will make three dimples in the ball. these are neat to find, grandpa found a .54 last weekend that had been wormed near the Corinth and bark road intersection. .54 musket balls are unusual as most were .69.

Great information on that reply, C.D.

I remember once on a visit to Antietam, I was standing with a group of folks watching a couple of guys walking behind a fellow plowing a privately owned field where some heavy fighting took place. They had metal detectors, and one of them had found several bullets that he described for us, much like what C.D. has done here. The information he could glean simply by looking at those bullets just amazed me.

John - you mentioned the size of those Civil War bullets compared to a modern-day .45. I'm certainly no firearms or bullets expert, but you make a good point. Plus being made out of soft lead, and travelling at a much slower speed than a modern-day bullet, they would often flatten out on impact and make those terrible wounds we read about so often. I've heard it described that they could make an entry wound the size of your thumb, and an exit wound the size of your fist. Makes me shudder just to think about it.

Perry

Here's a comparison of the .69 from the first photo with a modern .45. Well... "modern" may not be the best word to use here. This current production .45 colt cartridge doesn't look all that different from its counterparts of 100 years ago, and yes...I'm comparing a pistol round to a rifle round, but still, the .45 seems so big today (at least to me) until it's side-by-side with the older big guy.

attachment.php?id=73

I keep looking but not really seriously - shipping charges are high. Just got a nice edged weapon and an old sword knot from Shiloh Relics though so the cannonball will have to wait. Just trying to help the local economy.:)