Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

Opening of Sherman Rd

Right!The yankees changed alot of the names of the roads over the years. throughout the park.I'll let ytou know when they get out the new tour maps.it wont be long as they have almost all the new tour stop signs up.

C D,

Do you have any other local names for the roads whose names have been changed?  I'm interested in local names of roads, creeks, ravines and farms.  An example is the Cavalry Field.  What was the name of this field before?  What about the Review field also, what name?  Could these fields have been woods before the yankees arrived and cleared by the troops?

Thanks

Ron

Also other activities on the park some of the rangers and most maintenance and summer hires have been cleaning the monuments and polishing the bronze--they look so nice.(Esp the UDC Monument.)

Mona

yes it is one of the seige cannons w/limber. and yes Ron some of the names changed at the time of the battle, such as the river road, before the battle it was simply the savannah-hamburg road and the road buell marched from savannah to pittsburg on the east side of the river was the river road. most of the roads on the park were just named for the family that lived there such as sowell road which is now part of sherman road. and when the park took over in the early 1900's and rearranged the roads to transverse the areas where the most fighting took place they changed the names accordingly.

Mona, thanks for the update. It sounds like they're getting everything ready to go for the 150th anniversary.

C.D. or Mona - do you know if the western side of the park was ever included in the main tour route? I don't believe it was, but I can't swear to it.

Ron - this isn't really what you're looking for, but if you bring up a map of the park on Google or Yahoo, and probably Bing as well, they still show the Main Corinth Road as "Confederate Drive," a name no longer in use at the park. I have a digital version of a few of the park pamphlets showing a map of the park, and the ones from 1957, 1969, and 1978 all show different names than what most of them are today.The Hamburg-Purdy Road for instance was called "Federal Road." The Hamburg-Savannah Road was named "Johnston Road" south of the Main Corinth Road, and on the 1957 map it is called "Wallace Road" north of the intersection with the Main Corinth Road. And the Main Corinth Road is called "Confederate Drive."

I'm not sure when it was done - C.D. probably knows - but at some point many of the road names were changed back to reflect their wartime usage. I'm also not sure why they kept some of the park-created names, such as Sherman Road and Peabody Road, but it could be that those roads had no verifiable name that could be traced back to the war years. So they just kept the name the park service had given them.

It's also interesting, looking at old pamphlets from the park, how the tour stops have changed over the years. The main tour route doesn't seem to have changed very much, with a few exceptions, but various stops have been added or subtracted over the years. This upcoming expansion, where they are opening up the western side of the battlefield to motorized vehicles again, might be the most 'radical' change to the main tour since the park opened.

Perry

went by the park today drove down the new road it was really nice picked up a copy of the new driving tour it dont look much different than the last one is there any changes id like to know if there is

Perry (Admin)

RE tour route on Western area of the park: To the best of my knowledge, when the Shortbridge road (that's all I ever heard it called) was closed, it was before the park had any official "tour route".

Also, re the Western part of the park, the biggest blunder for that area was the construction of the present highway 22 "bypass". It's true that the highway needed to be re-routed from the center of the park, but other routes were available, although more expensive. Also, the local politics of businesses at the intersection of 22 and 142 played a role in the bypass being located where it is today. One possible route considered would have left present highway 22 at about where the Church of Christ is located today, or else just before the Hardin-McNairy line (this would have destroyed the Johnston bivouac site). It then would have skirted the park along Owl Creek, rejoining the original highway just before it crosses Snake Creek bottom.

If I'm remembering any of this incorrectly, maybe CD can clear it up.

Grandpa

Grandpa, thanks. Interesting information about Highway 22. I guess it's hard to keep politics out of something like that. Seems to be the case most of the time anyway.

I did some snooping around for more information about changes to the tour route over the years, and came across a report on the Library of Congress website that's a real gold mine where the history of the road network through the park is concerned. I'll post a link to it under the "History of the Park" topic. One of the subjects addressed in the report is the creation of the Highway 22 bypass, and how it was part of the ongoing issue of whether or not to close off various entries to the park, and the problems this could cause for the local residents if it was ever done.

Perry - concerning your question, the short answer seems to be that the current version of the main tour route has changed very little since it was first created. As Grandpa alluded to, and if I remember right from the report above (I should have been taking notes), the first official tour route came about in 1940 or 1941, and was very similar to what it is now. The western side of the park has never been incorporated into the official tour before. So if they do so this time, it will be the first time it's been done.

The report runs to 129 pages when you include the appendixes, and I think a lot of folks here will want to read over at least most of it, if not all of it. Quite a bit of fascinating information in there. As far as this particular discussion is concerned, I think the report starts to deal with the various changes to the main tour route on about page 83 or 84.

Perry

you know now that i think back on it there is a stop on the new road on the tour it makes a stop at one of the CSA burial trenches one that i think wasnt visited much before this new road came in i dont think ive ever been to it before knew it was there but u had to walk through the woods to get there so i guess thats a change