Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

Tennessee Civil War Trails sign at Fallen Timbers

I wanted all to know that the sign has placed in the right spot.I didt want to say anything earlieras it was about a quarter mile on too far toward Pebble Hill. (These signs need to have land owners approval--but where it is placed i can tell you much action took place if you beleive artifacts-)I've got a picture and hope that Perry can receive it and put it here..We had a discussion on site about the battle and locations of the 2 roads and hospital site were pointed out.Mona

• Like 1

Tennessee Interactive Map

(for all battles, skirmishes and significant events 1861 - 1865)

In support of Mona's information on Fallen Timbers, provided below is the link to The Tennessee Civil War GIS Project (Tennessee State Library & Archives) Interactive Map. Of importance because this map provides location and date for every known significant battle, skirmish and event that occurred in the State of Tennessee from 1861 - 1865. 

To find a skirmish, go to "Layers -- Search" at right of screen, and click on "down arrow" within Zoom to Engagement. Over two hundred individual skirmish sites are listed: scroll down and click on desired site. [Map at left centers on your selection, and provides date and zoom ability and location of other battles and skirmishes nearby.] Same for Zoom to Battlefield... Also, noteworthy sites (such as General AS Johnston's Last Bivouac) are indicated.

An additional feature: once map is "centered" on your selected skirmish, the drop-down box at right becomes "Layers -- Search -- Results -- Details."  Click on Civil War Sourcebook feature for chronological listing of that skirmish (among other near-time events.)

Quite an impressive map. The only negative comment: not all skirmishes are listed. And often, only one name is given to the site. (As we know, Monterey and Michie and Mickey and Pea Ridge and Mickey's Ridge were sometimes used to identify the same location in 1862.) But knowing the above, it is easy to work around this minor deficiency.

Regards

Ozzy

http://tnmap.tn.gov/civilwar/   Tennessee Map TSLA interactive Civil War map [Battle map] skirmish map

yes there are many locations where a trail sign could be but they really require a "sponser" and a land owner willing to allow sign placed and provide enuf pulloff space for a vehicle and yearly insurance(which had already paid for itself at Fallen Timbers when it was stolen couple yrs back a new one was put up in a very timely fashion) .also there are locations that could have one that the land owner either doesnt know the history of the location or doesnt care

• Like 1