Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Monument Location System

Below is the link to the main page for the Monument Location System for Shiloh. The MLS allows you to view every monument and marker in the park, thereby helping you to follow the movements of whatever unit you're interested in. It also reproduces D.W. Reed's account of the battle, along with including a helpful interactive organizational chart for all three armies. You'll also find information on the national cemetery. There is a lot here to look through. It's a valuable resource for learning about Shiloh...

http://www.shilohbattlefield.org/

Perry

In looking at the cemetery map, I noticed that the 18th WI doesn't have a section.  When I looked at the list of soldiers, I found that most of the 18th's men are in unknown graves, including Col. Alban.  This must have been due to the fact that the 18th was captured in the Hornets Nest, so nobody must have been around to ID their comrades bodies in the days after the battle.

Jim

[user=28]WI16thJim[/user] wrote:

In looking at the cemetery map, I noticed that the 18th WI doesn't have a section.  When I looked at the list of soldiers, I found that most of the 18th's men are in unknown graves, including Col. Alban.  This must have been due to the fact that the 18th was captured in the Hornets Nest, so nobody must have been around to ID their comrades bodies in the days after the battle.

Jim

Sounds plausible Jim

Jim do you mean there was no one from the 18th Wisconsin on the field after the battle to identify their comrades?

Some soldiers could have been buried in graves with some type of marker after the battle but before they were reburied in the cemetery several years later maybe the marker was removed, destroyed or became unreadable.

Sharon, I have no idea if anyone was around after the battle to ID the remains of the 18th.  I was just speculating as to the reason so many of them are in unmarked graves, while the 14th & 16th WI have their own sections with marked graves. The 16th had a temporary burial site (marker #BG29) and so did the 14th (marker #BG28), but the 18th didn't????  I do find it hard to believe that anyone from the 18th that was present after the battle would let their comrades be treated such, especially their Col.

Jim

It has been suggested to me that perhaps the reason the 18th WI didn't have marked graves was due to the loss of all of it's staff officers.  No post battle organization.  During this discussion, it was noticed that the only regiment in the 6th Div. with a burial ground (and a resultant place in the cemetery) was the 16th WI.  Why did some regiments have marked burials and others didn't?  Where were the temporary grave sites of the other regiments, such as the 61st IL? 

Jim 

Upon further analysis, the Monument Location System shows 29 regimental/battery burial grounds, but 12 of those have no marked area in the cemetery!?!?

Jim 

Good question about the missing units in the national cemetery, Jim. I'm wild-guessing that the bodies were unidentified, and that some way or another the unit identification was misplaced before they were relocated to the cemetery. It's a good question to contact the park about.

On the unmarked temporary burial sites, I'd have to take another guess. But, it would be that Reed probably could not establish their location to his own satisfaction, so he chose not to place any markers for them. There are some missing brigade headquarters markers, and I think a few campsite markers, that as I understand it are missing for that same reason.

A couple of other possibilities are one, that the men were buried in individual graves instead of mass graves. Two, that they were buried in mass graves and the locations were known and possibly marked at one time, but much like the missing Confederate burial trenches, the information was lost at some point - perhaps in the 1909 tornado - and never recovered.

Always more questions, it seems. But it keeps us coming back and checking. :(

Perry

What's the name of the printed map that contains all the marker locations by number, and where can the map be obtained?

• Like 1

Battlefield America prints a series of these maps.  You can get them from www.trailheadgraphics.com.  You can usually find them at the bookshop at the Shiloh VC (that's the Visitors' Center for those of us in the know). 

Don't leave home without one!

• Like 2

And in this Digital Age, there are electronic device accessible databases that assist with marker location:

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/100038/Where-is-General-WHL-Wallaces-2nd-Division-Headquarters-Marker.htm  European system, relatively new, but gives detailed information. A work-in-progress that should improve over time (as there is increasing interest in American Civil War in Europe.)

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=21840  HMdb has been around for a while, and its information is pretty good.

http://www.shilohbattlefield.org/searchops.html  Shiloh Battlefield Markers. The most accurate and complete database.