Jump to content
Shiloh Discussion Group

22nd Tennessee

Recommended Posts

Not being able to find anything anywhere else, and hearing that all of the 22nd Tennessee's records at Shiloh no longer exist, can anyone lead me to anything that would help me track AARs of the battle, other than numbers? I've picked up a few things from other units nearby, but nothing from the 22nd. Thanks in advance.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the Brigade Com.'s report from the OR:


Numbers 144. Report of Colonel R. M. Russell, Twelfth Tennessee Infantry, commanding First Brigade.


Corinth, Miss., April 18, 1862.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the brigade under my command, consisting of the Twelfth, Thirteenth and Twenty-second Tennessee Regiments, the Eleventh Louisiana Regiment, and Captain Bankhead's battery of light artillery, in the battle which took place at Shiloh, near Pittsburg Landing, on the Tennessee River, on April 6 an 7:

On the morning of the 6th the First Army Corps, of which my brigade formed a part, was drawn up in columns of brigades a short distance in front of the enemy's encampment, near a ravine, covered with briers and brushwood, waiting for the order to advance.

Soon after daylight the attack had been made by the right of our army, under Major-General Hardee, and the First was held as supporting corps. While in this position the enemy opened fire upon us with solid shot and shell with field batteries posted in strong positions on the hills in front. The Second Brigade, commanded by Brigadier-General Stewart, moved to the right.

Pending this movement I received orders to charge through the enemy's encampment and take it at all hazards. An Arkansas and a Louisiana regiment, which had gone before, had attempted to advance, and were drive through our lines. I immediately ordered the regiments on the left to charge, and started to advance those on the right, but was directed by General Clark to go forward with the left and he would give the order to the right wing. I placed myself at their head, and we moved rapidly forward until we had passed through a part of the first encampment, the enemy all the while pouring a shower of Minie and musket balls from the hills above, until suddenly he opened his batteries with grape and canister with such sure aim and terrible effect that the advancing line was forced to give way and retire behind the thicket and ravine, where I reformed it preparatory to a second advance. I found afterward that, instead of two regiments advancing, but seven companies had succeeded in passing the almost impenetrable undergrowth and joined in the first charge.

The line being reformed, the order was again given to charge through the camp, which was done in gallant style and with complete success.

At this point I sent my acting brigade adjutant to the right to see were the Twelfth and Thirteenth Regiments were, with a view to getting all the brigade together again; but he reported that three other regiments had forced their way between, and it would be impossible to accomplish this.

I then moved forward with those I had up to the top of the hill, where we met with the most obstinate and determined resistance. The enemy's batteries, supported by a heavy force of infantry, rapidly thinned our ranks and held our troops back in a hotly-contested conflict, which lasted nearly an hour. They were finally forced to give way and fall back, closely pursued by our eager troops.

Continuing to advance, we soon encountered a battery, two pieces of which were taken and sent to the rear. Pushing still farther forward, a force was found partially concealed in the bushes in front of our left and extending beyond that flank. Fearing they were some of our Louisiana troops, I caused the firing to cease and halted the line, and sent forward to ascertain their true character. Conflicting reports were brought back.

Just at this time the troops that were on the right were seen to retire. I rode down the line to ascertain the cause. I found them to be the Fifth Tennessee Regiment, of General Stewart's brigade, and was informed that they had orders to fall back. This compelled me to retire a short distance, having first sent Colonel Brewer, who happened to pass by at the time, with his cavalry, to watch the movements of the concealed force (found to be the enemy), keep in constant communication with me, and not suffer them to turn our left flank and get in our rear.

At this point Colonel Freeman reported his regiment to be out of ammunition, and I had it supplied from a wagon just passing.

Hearing rapid firing on the right, and there being no general officer present, I formed a line of battle as speedily as possible, facing in that direction, out of of the regiments I could get together. Lieutenant-Colonel Venable, though not in my brigade, readily adopted my plans and efficiently co-operated with me at that time and on other occasions throughout the day. Colonel Marks' regiment being nearly out of ammunition I directed them to be supplied from the wagon and placed on the left of the line; but by some mistake they bore too much to the right.

I now moved forward to the support of the troops engaged in front. Having advanced a short distance and passed a small ravine, the enemy were found to be strongly posted on the crest of the hill beyond.

About this time Lieutenant-Colonel Gilbreath [?], commanding a Kentucky regiment, came up and placed himself voluntarily under my command. I joined my forces on the left of Colonel Trabue's brigade, and the whole moved forward to the attack. The enemy soon opened a brisk fire, which was returned with spirit. A long contest here ensued, resulting finally in the enemy being driven from his position by a charge made by our troops.

Falling back to their encampment,another obstinate stand was made; but they were soon forced to retire before the resistless march of our troops. Taking a strong position a third time, protected by a battery which was concealed in the woods on their right, and which soon opened upon us, they attempted to make another stand, but re-enforcements coming up on the left, they soon beat a hasty retreat.

A final stand was made at their next encampment, but after an obstinate resistance, seeing no means of escape, the enemy hoisted a white flag and surrendered as prisoners of war.

Lieutenant J. C. Horne and Private T. M. Simms, of the Twenty-second Tennessee Volunteers, under my command, entered the enemy's camp first, or among the first, and brought a large number of prisoners out.

Among the number was Brigadier-General Prentiss, who was delivered to me by Private T. M. Simms, and by me delivered to Major-General Polk.

The prisoners being disposed of, I made preparations to move the forces under my command forward toward the river, but Colonel Freeman reported his regiment to be out of ammunition. The Twelfth and Thirteenth Regiments coming up at this time, and being in the same condition, I ordered details to proceed to the enemy's camp and supply them. This being done, General Cheatham directed a line to be formed in rear of the encampment and await further orders. The enemy's gunboats kept up an incessant fire of shot and shell.

After waiting in this position for some time orders were received from General Bragg to fall back out of the range of the gunboats and encamp for the night. Retiring a short distance to the next encampment, I halted the men and quartered them in the tents.

On the morning of the 7th, between daylight and sunrise, the pickets commenced firing on each other, but it was almost impossible to determine when and where the main attack commenced, on account of the constant firing of our troops in every direction, which contributed greatly to the confusion which afterward ensued.

At the discharge of the first guns I formed my brigade in line of battle on the enemy's parade ground in front of the encampment. Colonel Marks' regiment did not join us until later in the day, and on account of the casualties of the preceding day, the force was small.

I now gave the order to advance toward the river, but I soon perceived the enemy was forming a line perpendicular to ours and in the rear of our left flank, and also planting a battery on our left flank. This rendered a change of front necessary and caused us to retire a short distance to the rear. From this front we were ordered to march to the support of General Breckinridge. Proceeding in that direction (guided by a staff officer) until I approached a thick woods, I sent forward two companies as skirmishers, who soon engaged the enemy, concealed in large force, their line extending beyond ours on both flanks. I ordered our troops to advance to the charge, and soon the engagement became general along the whole line.

The enemy had previously opened a battery upon our left, and a staff officer of General Beauregard's passing about this time, I requested him to send a battery to our support, and also a cavalry company to observe the enemy's movements and prevent them from flanking us on the left. Here a long and spirited contest ensued, of doubtful issued for a time, but the enemy, being in largely superior force, sent a detachment around our right, under cover of the undergrowth, at the same time turning our left, and opened a cross-fire upon both wings, which compelled a retreat. Colonel Campbell co-operated with me in this encounter.

Falling back behind the crest of a ridge, I halted the line. The enemy soon advanced upon us, and we were ordered by General Bragg to meet them. I endeavored to move them off at the double-quick step, and two of the regiments succeeded in reaching the top of the ridge, and held that part of the line of the enemy in check.

The enemy had now forced a line across our left flank, and was planting a battery in an open field in that direction. One of our own batteries now coming up, I ordered it to be advanced as rapidly as possible into an open space in front, so as to get the first fire; but before it could be placed in position and unlimbered the opposing battery opened a terrific fire upon our line, killing and wounding many of our men. This, with the heavy flank fire on the left and the direct fire in front, caused a retreat to a ravine a short distance in front of Shiloh Church, where I reformed them, and they again advanced to the charge, with other troops, under the immediate eye of General Beauregard, who bore the colors in front of the line under the fire of the enemy; but courage and human endurance could stand no longer against such odds, and our forces were compelled to fall back to the hill where the church is situated. Our troops had now nearly all retired, and a final stand was made by a few regiments to cover the retreat.

The officers and men under my command behaved with courage and bravery, especially on the 6th. Early in the action the brigade, and division were deprived, by a severe wound, of the services of Brigadier-General Clark, whose fearless bearing was well calculated to inspire the men; but to compensate for this loss Major-General Polk's frequent exposure of himself to the hottest of the enemy's fire tended greatly to reassure them.Lieutenant-Colonel Bell and Major R. P. Caldwell were distinguished by their courage and energy. The former had two horses shot under him. Colonel A. J. Vaughan, jr., and Lieutenant Colonel W. E. Morgan, of the Thirteenth Tennessee Volunteers, exhibited great bravery under the enemy's fire. Colonel T. J. Freeman, of the Twenty-second, was energetic and active in the performance of his duties, and was constantly under fire. Near the close of the action he received a painful wound, which disabled him for a short time. Captain W. Dawson, of the same regiment, and Lieutenant Colonel F. M. Stewart were wounded, the latter early on the first day and the formed near the close of the same day, while gallantly urging their men forward. Lieutenant J. G. Thurmond, of the Twenty-second Regiment, particularly distinguished himself by his intrepidity in leading his company in every charge. The same may be said of Lieutenant J. C. Horne. Colonel S. F. Marks, of the Eleventh Louisiana Volunteers, was severely wounded, while leading his men, on the morning of the 6th. Lieutenant-Colonel Barrow, Major Mason, and Adjutant White, of the same regiment, did their duty bravely. Captain Bankhead deserves great praise for the promptness, bravery, and energy with which he maneuvered his battery. The Twelfth sustained a severe loss in the death of Captain B. H. Sandford and Lieutenant G. H. Jackson, who fell bravely at the head of their company while leading them on to victory. Major L. P. McMurry, of the Twenty-second, and others, both officers and men of the command, are deserving of notice for their conduct in the action. For other instances of meritorious conduct I refer you to the reports of the regimental commanders.Very respectfully, your obedient servant,



Colonel, Comdg. First Brigadier First Div., First Army Corps.


Assistant Adjutant-General.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Jim, which hill do you believe Russell was referring to? The camp of the 57th and Waterhouse battery? Perhaps the heavy force might be the 43rd Illinois, the 57th Ohio before they folded up? Thanks, Roger. 

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Mike,

Here is some info about the 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment, I hope it helps.  You are right about the difficulty of finding info about the regiment.  besides the 22nd Tennessee, the 12th, 13th and the 47th Tennessee Regiments were in the operations of the 22nd Tennessee.  So, you need to study the history of all four  Tennessee regiments, but also study the history of the 12th/47th Tennessee consolidated regiment.  These last operated as a single regiment from August to October, 1862.  On June 16, 1862, the 12th and 22nd Tennessee Regiments were consolidated into the 12th Tennessee Regiment (consolidated). This merged unit operated only from June until October, 1862, when it was consolidated with the 47th Tennessee Regiment.  Are you confused yet?  All of these regiments served in Mississippi, Tennessee and East Tennessee. 


At the Battle of Shiloh, the 22nd Tennessee Regiment was in Colonel R. M. Russell's brigade of Brig. Gen. Clark's Division of Polk's I Corps.  The brigade was supported by Bankhead's Tennessee Battery, it came up the Corinth Road and veered into in the Rhea Field near 8 a.m. and joined the fighting.  The 22nd Tennessee had a strength of 675 men present (Est).  It was commanded by Colonel Thomas J Freeman.  Russell's brigade continued its attack into the Rhea Field where it engaged the 57. Ohio about 8:30 a.m. and by 9:30 a.m. , pushed the Ohio Regiment back through their camps and into positions along the east branch of the Shiloh Creek Ravine in the northern Rhea Field.  This was near the extreme northern border of the Rhea field, 500 yards above where their line started the battle.  The regiment was in good condition having suffered only an estimated 25 casualties, down to 650 men at present.  At 10:00 am, Colonel Russell organized his brigade for a new attack by splitting his brigade into two parts, the left wing had the 11th Louisiana and the 22th Tennessee, total of 1,150 men (part A).  The right wing had the 13th Tennessee and the 12th Tennessee with 1,250 men (Part B).  The left wing attack progressed slowly through difficult terrain.  It was discovered that only 7 companies, out of the 20 companies of the two regiments, made the attack and they became stalled in the Shiloh Branch Ravine.  The right wing made better progress as all 20 companies of the two regiments made the attack and they moved onto the Shiloh Church plateau, above the Shiloh Branch Ravine.  The brigade strength was now, 1,150 of the right wing and the left wing was down to 1,050 men.  


Sometime after 10:30 am, a further split apart of Russell's Brigade occurred when the 12th Tennessee, under Lt. Col. Bell moved to the east and attacked McAllister's Union Battery in the northwest corner of the Review Field (Part C).  This attack was led by Brig. Gen. A.P. Stewart and was composed of the mentioned 12th Tennessee and Stewart's 4th Tennessee, both supported by Stanford's Mississippi Battery.  Brig. Gen. Hindman was severely wounded in this attack when his horse was hit by a shell from McAllister's Battery.  The general got on his feet, shouted to the troops and collapsed and was removed from the field.  The attack continued across the 800 feet of the Review Field and came under a heavy fire of the union battery and the 45th Illinois.  The Tennessee troops got to 30 paces away from the union battery, halted and fired a heavy volley and then rushed forward and drove off the union defenders.  Capt. McAllister was able to remove 3 of his guns but left 1 gun abandoned on the field.  The 4th Tennessee suffered 31 dead and 160 wounded in this battle.  The 12th Tennessee continued forward to the Main Corinth Road equal distance between the Woolf field and the Duncan Field.  After this action, the 12th Tennessee moved towards the Duncan field and joined up with Shaver's Brigade.   


Meanwhile, the other two elements of Russell's Brigade (parts A and B) continued an attack towards and through the "Crossroads" where the Main Corinth Road and the Purdy road met.  The fighting at the "Crossroads" was heavy against Raith's and Hildebrand's union Brigades.  This fighting began about 10:00 a.m. and continued to about 11:30 a.m., this length of time in the fighting underlines the severity of the fighting.  It has been suggested that the battle in this area was more severe, with resulting battle casualties greater than other areas of the Shiloh Battlefield that have been more highlighted.  Part A of the brigade, commanded by Colonel Russell, the brigade commander, continued in the heavy fighting at the "Crossroads" with about 1,100 men, their attacked successfully pushing back the union defenders back to McClernand's camps located along Sherman's Camp Road and the fighting above the Woolf Field and below the Jones Field seesawed back and forth for several hours.  Meanwhile, The right wing of Russell's Brigade, with only the 13th Tennessee was fighting in the low wooded land below the Purdy Road, east of the "Crossroads".  This fighting was less severe than at the "Crossroads" but still the advance was difficult.  This action began near 10 a.m. with a combined strength for the three elements of Russell's Brigade of 2,275 men and continued to near 11:30 a.m. with an estimated 2,000 present.  The 22nd Tennessee had about 500 still with the colors. 


Close to twelve noon and until 2 p.m., an odd situation occurred.  At this time, Russell's brigade became divided into four separate maneuvering units.  This is very uncommon for a brigade to be split into four subunits. 

Unit A was still the 13th Tennessee commanded by Colonel A J Vaughn and was still in the woods on the west side of the Duncan Field.  The regiment was supporting Stanford's Battery and later, both the regiment and the battery joined Ruggles' Line of Artillery. 

Unit B, the 11th Louisiana was fighting above the "Crossroads" supporting Trabue's attack until it became confused when McClernand's Division attacked out of the Jones Field.  It was confused because it did not know whether to support Trabue's attack or resist McClernand's attack.  The confusion ended at 12:30 pm when Colonel Marks led the regiment north into the woods below the Jones Field.  This move was to oppose McClernand's Division.  The fighting got heavier with the confederates pushing McClernand's troops back.  This weakened the union line that Sherman built up in the middle of them Jones field. 

Unit C, composed of the 12th Tennessee, of 475 men, was fighting on the Main Corinth Road under General A. P. Stewart and supporting Bankhead's Battery.  About 1 p.m., the regiment is believed to have moved back to a ravine to get water and ammunition.  It returned to the battle about 2 p.m., now with 425 men. 

Unit D, This unit had only the 22nd Tennessee Regiment and small element of the 11th Louisiana under command.  Colonel Thomas J Freeman was the commander of this Unit and had about 500 men in the line.  They had been fighting in the woods above the Water Oaks Pond.  Close to 2 p.m., the Regiment moved up in the woods to just below the Jones Field.  The fighting had been severe as the regiment lost about 100 men by 2 p.m.


In the time period between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., Russell's Brigade continued to be split into four separate combat units.  Colonel Russell was still the brigade commander but who exactly he commanded is unknown.  The brigade was in the woods above the Wolff Field, and the woods below the Jones Field, and in the woods west of the Duncan Field.  All together, the regiment had 1,150 effectives in the ranks. 

Unit A, the 13th Tennessee commanded of 375 men by Colonel A J Vaughn, was supporting Stanford's Battery west of the Duncan cabins.  little fighting here as Ruggles' artillery fired against the union positions along the Sunken Road, still some stray shells found Vaughn's Regiment.  The regiment had about 325 men in line. 

Unit B, now commanded by LT. Col. Robert H Barrow replacing Col. S F Marks.  The 11th Louisiana was the only regiment in the Unit and it took part in Stewart's temporary group's attack on the Duncan cabins.  The attack drove out the union defenders but the regiment was separated from both Stewart's temporary unit and Russell's Brigade.  The regiment had about 300 men still with the colors at 4 p.m. but  lost all contact with their commanders.  It wandered around the battlefield until it was stuffed into a emergency group late in the battle. 

Unit C, commanded by Lt Col Bell had the 12th Tennessee of 375 men in the ranks.  At 2 p.m., the regiment was at the Shiloh Branch Ravine getting water.  It was ordered to move east on the Purdy Road, below the Sunken Road positions of the union army and to provide support to General Bragg's troops.  It seems to have been engaged only lightly to 4 p.m.  It had about 325 men present.

Unit D, still commanded by Colonel T J Freeman with 350 men present.  The 22nd Tennessee, the only regiment present, moved east from the woods below the Jones Field, crossed the Tilghman Branch Ravine to the east bank of the ravine.  This move brought the regiment into closer proximity to the circle forming around the fragments of Prentiss' union troops in the Hell's Hallow.  The regiment had close to 300 men present at 4 p.m.  



After 4 p.m., the brigade was divided into three Units.  Unit A, led by Col. A. J. Vaughn with 375 men present, was supporting Stanford's Battery still in Ruggles' line of artillery but was soon to move forward.  Sometime after 4 p.m., Unit C, the 11th Louisiana Regiment, dissolved into many small groups of men.  The regiment was no longer effective during attacks because a single regiment could not bring a mass of infantry and cannon on a single point of a attack.  The 350 men of the regiment were lost for effective service against the union troops.  It is unclear how this happened.  Unit B, were separated from the other regiments but did manage for two of the regiments of the brigade, to join together.  This Unit now had 725 men in the ranks.  The Unit operated west of General Prentiss's surrender site in Hells Hallow and accepted the surrender of some of the federal troops.  They had moved over the Tilghman Branch Ravine, moved east into the Stacy Field where their forward movement ended while gathering the federal prisoners.  Most of the fighting was over by 6 p.m. or shortly after.  Combined, the brigade had 1,250 men in the ranks but many were tired, out of ammunition, had no food or water, and did not where their commander was  Many small groups of men were scattered over the battlefield and did not rejoin with the brigade until the next day if at all.



In the evening hours, after 6 p.m., the Brigade reformed when 3 of its regiment's met and joined up.  These three regiments were the 12th Tennessee (325 men), 13th Tennessee (325 men), 22 Tennessee (300 men) still in the vicinity of the Stacy Field.  In the evening darkness, they moved down the Corinth Road, towards the Shiloh Church Plateau and set up campsites on the plateau among the ruins of the battle.  The casualties of the battle still laid, on the ground including dead and wounded.  The nearby field hospitals operated with the greatest efforts by the small staffs.  The doctors preformed many emergency operations.    They were camped near General Beauregard's Headquarters.  Most of the union tents had bullet holes in them, some were burned but the rebels enjoyed the items they found in the tents, food to eat and water to drink.    The brigade had an estimated 1,250 men available at 6 p.m. for duty but had only about 1,000 later in the day, as many had deserted and ran down the Corinth Road, to get away from the dangers of the battlefield.  The last regiment of the Brigade, the 11th Louisiana under Capt. J E Austin, with 300 men, also bivouacked on the Shiloh Church Plateau unknown to other regiments of the brigade.  They were later attached to General Anderson's Brigade on Monday morning.  

While this account of Colonel Russell's Brigade is as accurate as possible, much research was put into the info  just provided.  All of the after action strength figures mentioned are calculated by myself based on the research already mentioned.   The strength figures given before the battle or before brigade attacks are from the several sources referred too, included the "Official Reports" of the War of the Rebellion.  I have used a formula to determine the number of casualties a regiment suffered. Your questions are welcomed but if you want to argue, line forms to the right.  I hope you will enjoy this and find it useful.  


  • Like 2

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent account Ron. It would seem to be an almost impossible task of keeping a brigade together moving through rough terrain, patches of woodland, hills and ravines, smoke. The brigade commander could not see all his units and cohesion quickly broke down.   It was said that Shiloh was hundreds of small battles stitched together. 

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You are correct, many factors created and continued to add to the battlefield confusion.  You can add to the confusion, the time and effort it cost Colonel Russell trying to control the Brigade.  Yes, things did break down into small battles of small numbers of soldiers.  It was described as a soldier's fight by some authors.  In the later hours of the day, fighting began to fall off.  It may have allowed some rest to the men but the fighting on the second day took away any rest they may have got on Sunday night.  The fighting was, on Monday, very bad.   It very seldom happened that all of the component units of a military unit somehow got lost from the main body.  This is an example of a confused scattered military unit.  At most, Colonel Russell commanded only one regiment.  BAD BAD BAD 

I plan to compose another report about Russell's Brigade.  This time, it will be about the second day of the battle.  You may find the second day of the battle much more surprising as the fighting was just as bad as on the first day.  The second day battle I describe as the "Most Secret Battle of the Civil War".  It has been overlooked by most authors for far too long.  An example of why this is the case, one author used seven chapters to describe the first day's battle of 245 pages.  But described the second day battle in one chapter of 35 pages.  I found this to be the case in most of the books of the Battle of Shiloh.

LET ME ASK YOU, WHY WOULD SOMEONE WHO HAS AN INTEREST IN THE CIVIL WAR AND POSSIBLE THE BATTLE OF SHILOH, IGNORE THIS SECOND DAY BATTLE WHICH I FOUND TO BE JUST AS INTERESTING AND MORE MYSTERIOUS AS MOST OTHER BATTLES.  Here is a hint for you to increase your knowledge, study the casualties, sick, wounded, deserters.  Notice the treatment and handling of them.  A army cannot live, fight, maneuver with food, water, ammo, horses and wagons to move the troops but this what they had to do on Monday and overnight on Tuesday.  



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

These men were thoroughly exhausted and famished. The last rations were issued on April 3rd in Corinth which was supposed to last three days. After drenching rainstorms and marching through mud and sleeping out in the open, little to no rations were left by the 6th. Beauregard wanted to retreat back to Corinth on the 5th because the men were out of food but was over ruled. These men definitely stopped the forward momentum to ransack the Yankee camps, they were literally starving. Their fighting spirit and almost superhuman efforts become all the more remarkable. Great work Ron, Roger. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...