Shiloh Discussion Group
dd10

CCC and Shiloh

I am looking for information on the location of CCC camps and picnic areas at Shiloh during the 1930's.  I understand that segregation was in place during this time period so locations are varied.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you

the CCC camp was approx1/2 mile north of the present day ed shaw's restaurant. it was located on sowell road just off of P.T.G'S road. the main picnic area was just across from headquarters, there was no seperate picnic area at this location. the other picnic area was at rhea springs and there were two picnic areas in this location. one was just beside the spring the other was approx. 75 yds. west both were located on shiloh branch.

Cd Where was the other location of picnic area at Rhea Springs in regard to whats there now --was it closer to the road?The picnic area accross the Vc was where the pavilon was??or where that Bandstand was?Yall i have pictures of these places but am technically inept at putting them on this computer.maybe on e of these days..Also there is a Tenn Historic marker on the west side of Hwy 22 marking the CCC Camp.Mona

Mona the other picnic area was down shiloh branch to the west if you look at the west end of the wall at the parking area you will see an opening that led down to the other picnic area.

Thank you for the replies.  I had read the article by Tim Smith on the CCC at Shiloh and found it interesting, I had no idea of their presence there.  I still have a few questions though.  Where is Sowell Rd?  I can not seem to find it on any map.  Also clarifying that the CCC camps/ Picnic areas were on Shiloh Branch, not West Shiloh Branch.  I would like to find all of them.  Thank you for your help.

here's hoping this downloads. Sowell road is now listed as shiloh road. the CCC camp was locatedbetween the bypass(hwy22) and shiloh road just north of the intersection of pratt lane( or as the locals know it  beauregard road). the gravel from which the rock for the concrete and road beds was taken is just east of the camp, this is known as deadman's gravel pit because two workers were killed in the pit. Joe B.Jordan was one and I have forgotten the name of the other. my uncle,Fred Rickman, worked with the CCC boys as a foreman. he didn't stay in the camp as his house was only a mile away. he got his job because of  service in WW1. I think he only worked a short time as he was a farmer. when the scout camp was built in the early sixty's the entrance to the CCC camp was opened back up and became the entrance to the scout camp which was located in the exact location as the CCC camp. the picnic areas are marked with red circles near rhea springs.

You speak of the early scout camp at the CCc acmp locale--Is the entrance to it off Sowell/shiloh rd now blocked with posts??Why did they close it down??

Thank you for the information and map.  This was very helpful.  I have visited many National Parks and have seen many CCC camp areas and work that was done by the CCC.  I never knew that the CCC did so much at Shiloh until reading the article by Tim Smith.  The article did not mention "deadman's gravel pit" that was additional information and I will look for it next time I visit the park in a few weeks.  Thank you.

yes that is the old scout camp, it was closed down in the early 70's during the gas shortage. this was also the first time the park rented out the fields to be farmed, to cut down on the mowing.

CD, thanks for providing the information on the camp, and the map for the gravel pit and picnic areas. Good stuff.

Seems like in Tim Smith's article that dd10 mentioned, he says something about a separate picnic area for the black workers, and I'm thinking it was somewhere along Beauregard Road. Was it across from the gravel pit?

dd10 - below is a link to a picture of the sign for the CCC camp along highway 22. It's from a privately run site called the Historical Marker Database. Scroll down the page a bit to see a wider view...

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=19199

Using the coordinates they provide for the map, I pulled it up on Bing Maps, and circled it in red....

5418202705_5080d3776b.jpg

You can actually zoom in a little more than this, but I wanted to show it relative to Shiloh Road, as CD mentioned.

On edit - I posted a link to Tim Smith's article under the Resources category, near the bottom of the main page.

Perry

if you see the section of green in the middle of the page this defines pretty close the ouylines of the camp . the cook shack was just at the very north end of the camp and the eating areas were omly seperated by the cook shack. I am sorry I had thought you were talking about the public picnic areas. there were very few blacks in this camp and most were working on the jobs in camp area. as far as I can ascertain there was one crew that worked on masonery projects in the park. and even the crews were segerated. not because the people won't work with them but by the system that the govt had set up. probably had the govt. not set the system of segeration in place in the camps civil rights would have progressed at a faster rate and certainly less violently.