Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Park Day 2011

Park Day this year is on Saturday April 2nd. According to the NPS web site, the main project at Shiloh this year will be spreading wood chips on the trails out by the Indian Mounds to help prevent erosion. You can read about it on the "Special Events" page at the link below, and learn how you can take part....

http://www.nps.gov/shil/special-events.htm

Perry

I am going to participate in Park Day. Think it is a great opportunity to help out. We have another group here, Save Historic Antietam Foundation. I have been a member since 2002. We have a work day scheduled in March - to much to do & not enough time.

Shoot, I don't get there until the 4th.  Of course, with the amount of work I seem to accomplish these days, perhaps they aren't missing out too much without me, but I did make a good gopher in my youth!

Jim

Will do Mike.  I arrive on the 4th, so'll I'll have plenty of time to go Rebel hunting, ah, I mean look you up.  I shouldn't be to hard to spot.  In 2009, I was the only Yankee to be seen on the grounds (one gent in a Reb uniform whispered that he was from Chicago, but was keeping that quiet)!!

Jim 

Jim will be easy to spot alright. He'll be the guy in the Green Bay Packers jacket singing "Battle Hymn" loud enough to be heard from Woolf Field to the Peach Orchard. :)

Perry

Shiloh's Park Day has been a week earlier than the rest of the parks for the last few years since Park Day has fallen on the battles anniversary. My wife and I have made the trip from Houston the last two years only to have it cancelled due to weather.  We can't make it this year, but we are taking the kids to Vicksburg for Park Day.

In two weeks time we will be spending Spring Break on a CW trip through TN.  We'll hit Chickamauga/Chattanooga, Stones River, Nashville, Franklin, Parkers Crossroads and stop by Shiloh to get a peek at the eagles on the way home.

Can't wait.

You have a great trip planned Mike. Have fun. I have been to all those places & had a great time. Franklin was a real eye opener & if you get a chance stop at Spring Hill, down the Columbia Pike a piece from Franklin and see Rippavilla Plantation and the confederate cemetery there. :)

A beautiful day is dawning here so guess I will head over to Maryland and hike the trails near Burnside Bridge with Shiloh. Cannot leave all the fun to you folks in the west.:):)

[user=29]Wrap10[/user] wrote:

Jim will be easy to spot alright. He'll be the guy in the Green Bay Packers jacket singing "Battle Hymn" loud enough to be heard from Woolf Field to the Peach Orchard. :)

Perry

Hey, I'm proud to be a Cheesehead too!

My one Civil War Battlefield goal this year is Chickamauga. I haven't been there since 1999. I've made it known in my house that I'm going come hell or high water. :)

[user=45]idaho native[/user] wrote:

Hope you all have fun. I am jealous you get to go play on battlefields & I am stuck here in West Virginia painting baseboards.:)

If anybody should be jealous it's us. You've been to some pretty cool places!