Shiloh Discussion Group
dd10

Question re: Park Closure

Currently the news is mentioning a pending US government shutdown possibly occuring as early as March 4.  In the event of a government shutdown does Shiloh close since it is part of the National Park Service?  The last time this occurred was in 1995 and most National Park Agencies closed.  I am not sure how this affects Shiloh.

I think Mike is probably right. Several of the park roads do double-duty as access roads for the surrounding area, and I doubt they would close those off. They remain open even when the park is officially closed, such as after hours and on Christmas. So I'd guess that if there is a shut down, you'd still have access to the park itself.

Of course, let's hope there isn't a shut-down, or if there is, that it's resolved in time for the anniversary.

Perry

I'm planning to go to Chickamauga in early March. I'm told that if the government shuts down that you won't be able to even walk in the park. There will be lawmen there to enforce such.

Traffic will continue on the roads but they want no one on NPS property.

54th OVI

Thank you all for the information.  I was not sure how such would affect Shiloh.  CD is correct, Shiloh has public access and a church in the middle of the park.  I do hope they resolve the issue before the filming of new movie and anniversary celebration.

Sharon

Remember, You are talking about congress.  Its filled with a lot of politicians.

Ron 

I believe the President just signed an interim spending bill this afternoon after the Senate passed it yesterday.  I am hoping that is the case because I am heading to Shiloh this weekend!

I posted this elsewhere, but just as an FYI, I've emailed Stacy Allen asking about how a possible government shutdown might affect the park. As soon as I hear back from him, I'll pass along what he tells me.

Perry

Haven't heard back from Stacy Allen about this yet, but as you may have heard by now, a compromise was reached the other day that will keep the government running until April 8th. So the park should be open and unaffected at least through the anniversary.

Perry

Well, the morons in Washington are back to their part time jobs.  They've passed a continuing resolution to get the government to April 8.  If they shut down the government and Shiloh NMP on April 8, someone please bring food and drink (beer) to the park, cuss I ain't leaving.  I'll stage a sitdown.  I'll chain myself to the WI Monument.

Jim

Jim;

I would join you but I can't.  I'll be chained to the Michigan Monument.

Ron

Folks, Remember that Congress is the most uneffective body in Government.  That's your thought for the day.

Me again

Well gentlemen tell your congressmen to quit this posturing and get down to business. I participated in small arms and artillery firing drills yesterday so maybe I could offer my services! What would be better - the 12 pounder loaded with canister or the .59 caliber rifled musket. Sorry no buck & ball.:)