Shiloh Discussion Group
mtalplacido

Little eagles!!

Both eggs have hatched, one yesterday and one on St. Paddy's day.  My wife and I were there watching for about three hours trying to get a good pic on Paddy's day.  I only got one good one.  It seems Julia was there with the first hatchling and Hiram never showed while we were there.  We only got to see Julia's tail feathers.  It was still very cool.

The Park now has a place on their web site that has pics of the eaglets from the eagle cam.. Mona P,S, ft donelson's eaglets hatch a little earlier that same week.

I regret to post that this past tuesday am one of the eaglets was found dead at the base of the tree.They had been preparing to fly and would hop around the nest tress' branches.both were just fine the evening prior.The remaining eaglet was in the next tree over.

In case any of you are interested, there's a Facebook site called: Shiloh Wildlife Photographers. Not all their pics are from Shiloh, but I think most of them are. They are wildlife photographers, not historians, so don't expect info concerning locations. Still, some of you may figure out some locations based on cannons and other clues in the pics. There are some very good pics on the site.

I was at Shiloh last week, and took time to make a quick drive through a small part of the park. I entered at the entrance where hwy 142 meets hwy 22, turned right at the crossroads, went past Shiloh church, passed the Two Cabins site and turned on Reconoitering road (the Seay field was freshly plowed), right on Peabody then made a quick stop (take note Jim) at the location markers for the 16th WI. I then turned right on Gladden road and left the park. On the Bark road I had a nice slow long drive behind an Amish buggy.

I'd to let yall know that the eaglet(s) has hatched..since they have moved back to the original nest tree in Cloud field the camera situation is not in operation so it'll be a few weeks before it is know the number..

There will be no eaglets in 2016. According to scuttlebutt, due to Julia's advancing age, Hiram has cast his gaze upon a young female who has moved into the area, creating a Peyton Place - Shiloh style situation.

Jim

I was wondering myself if anyone had seen Julia, yet...I've heard she hasn't been around since Hiram decided to go Larry King on her and ditch her for someone else. Sad...I always was under the impression that bald eagles only had 1 mate during their lifetime. 

-Paul 

Sad to hear that about the two Shiloh eagles.  They were such a fine couple.  I looked forward to their nesting each year.  However, the news is good at the National Arboretum.  One of the two eaglets hatched this morning.  The other feathered baby should hatch today or tomorrow.  Hopefully, the predicted snow this weekend won't do them any harm.  Cherry blossom festival starts Sunday, too.  Spring is in the air!

THE MANASSAS BELLE

• Like 1

i heard that julia returned and ran the young female off...too late for eaglets this year  shiloh's an eagle soap opera..