Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Weather Forecast (Bring Your Mud Gear)

Okay folks, if you're heading to the park for the anniversary hikes this week, good news and bad news about the weather. The good news is that, according the Weather Channel at least, the actual anniversary dates are looking pretty darn nice. Sunny and 72 on the 6th, partly cloudy and 77 on the 7th, and for you bonus hikers, isolated thunderstorms and 82 on the 8th. Sans the possible thunderstorms, I can deal with 70's on a spring day at Shiloh. Most definitely.

For all you hardcore Dawn Patrol types - and you know who you are, and you know I'll be wishing I was with you - the low Wednesday morning is looking to be right around 50. That's just flat nice. Fifty degrees for an early morning stroll at Shiloh? Are you kidding me? That's gorgeous!

The bad news, such as it is, is that Mona tells me the park right now is pretty much a quagmire from all the recent rain. I'm sure that Mike can testify to the same, having been out there during last week's filming. So if you have any kind of rain boots, as well as old clothing that you don't mind getting a little dirty or muddy, probably a good idea to bring all that along. And some rain gear in general, just in case.

But hey, don't let a little rain and mud stop you from going! Remember, it rained overnight during the battle, and the area around there was pretty soggy in April of 1862 as well. So you're just doing a little re-enacting, and being historically accurate. And didn't you enjoy playing in the mud when you were a kid? Well, here's a chance to re-live those memories. :)

Trust me, I don't care what the weather is doing, if you're going, you'll enjoy yourself, and you'll learn a heck of a lot on those hikes. So, have a great time, and remember, those of who ain't there, be wishin we was. So enjoy it for us.

Here's a link to the Weather Channel's 10-day forecast for Savannah, if you're going early or staying past the anniversary....

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTN0450