Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Perry Cuskey

Anniversary hikes are posted

Hi folks,

The hikes for the 2008 anniversary have been posted on the NPS web site for Shiloh. So break out your hiking boots and get ready to do some serious tramping! Once again the folks at Shiloh have put together a great looking series of hikes around the park, to help us gain a better overall understanding of the battle.

The format is somewhat different than last year. The total number of hikes has been reduced from 10 down to 9. There are a total of five hikes scheduled for Sunday, April 6th - including the traditional Dawn Patrol at 5:15 a.m. - three more for Monday, April 7th, and a bonus hike of Fallen Timbers on Tuesday, April 8th. Most of the hikes will last approximately two hours, up from 90 minutes last year, and with one exception there will be about an hour between hikes instead of only 30 minutes.

You'll also be glad to know that Bjorn Skaptason is back as one of the hike leaders this year. He asks that anyone from the group who attends to be sure and introduce yourself. But, make sure you do so while he's standing still. If he's walking, you'll never catch him till he stops! (At least if you walk as slowly as I do.)

Below is a link to the NPS web site, where you can find more information. Once on the site you'll see a calendar for April 2008. Just mouse over the 6th, 7th, or 8th, and when you see a pop-up box, click on the word "more," or on the headline about the anniversary hikes and talks. (You will also see a note about the living history events for that same weekend. The note regarding the hikes is just below that one.) Here's the link...

http://www.nps.gov/shil/planyourvisit/events.htm?om=3&oy=2008&prk=shil

Hope to see you there!

Perry

Well, If you decide to come through Marion Illiois you can ride the last 222 miles with me.. Not all the way from KC but it is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick :)

Tenatively I will be leaving on Saturday. Not sure I can stay till Tuesday.. But, that is a little far off for concrete plans..

Your Servant

Rebel

That would be a great way to go... follow Grant's path from Paducah, upriver to the river forts, then on up the river to the battlefield.

If I do end up going, I will seriously consider that route.

My ancestor that fought in the 12th Iowa is buried in St Louis at Jefferson Barracks, so I would definitely go through there.

Anybody else? Please don't make me drive! :)

I usually go down Highway 24 from Paducah then go through Murray.. south of there I hit Highway 22.. Takes me straight to the park..If you want to come down the day before we could get an early start and maybe go through Donelson.. Highway 22 also takes you through Parker's Crossroads.. I have no aversion to stopping at either place..

Well heck, as it turns out I'm not going to be able to make it. My son is deploying to Iraq in April and we are giving him a big send off that weekend.

Have fun everybody!

Sorry to hear you can't make it this year Ken, but I'd say that's a pretty darn good reason. I'll keep good thoughts for your son, as I'm sure all of us here will do.

Perry

Just to let you prepare for the Tuesday driving tour to "Fallen Timbers" there is a discusion with odometer readings of "Fallen Timbers"region in Blue and Gray issue "Shiloh" Idont have it with me so I cant tell you the page #.We will be going thru some "rough"areas so dont judge all of us locals by what you see,please!But this should be interesting and something I campaigned for since last year.

Thanks Mona - I'll have to see if I can get that copy. Unfortunately, even if I can make the hikes this year, I probably won't be able to stick around for the trek out to Fallen Timbers. Love to do that, but perhaps some other day.

Perry

Well,Perry I figured the driving tour scheduled for Tuesday would be somewhat inconvienent for many.Maybe on a future visit we could get together and drive it and I'll show youall around the Fallen Timbers route.The Blue and Gray issue that has the driving tour info can be purchased at the bookstore.Also.This comuter and me are butting heads about replying to your last E-mail to me about the new whatver you call it -it wont let me send an e-mail nor reply to yours.So it says"The webpage is unavailable"gosh I see that come up SOOOO much and dont know what's going on.so i've not peeked in on it.There is not anything new going on at the park except something I'd have to show youall-I was sworn to secrecy about this but its not Battle related.Also,Joe Davis says that Bjorn and the other guy who is going to lead the hikes are both Volunteering (even if they are not U of Tennessee grads)Hope to here from youall soon.