Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
larrytagg

questions about colonels

Hello,

My name is Larry Tagg. I'm working on research for a Shiloh computer game.  I'm gathering information on regiment leaders so that the historical regiments will behave realistically.

So here's for starters:  Anyone know anything about Colonel Uriah T. Brown of the 28th Tennessee? 

Thanks,

Larry

• Like 1

Larry,

You have presented us with a tough mystery to solve.  Your question implies that Colonel Uriah T Brown was in command of the 28th Tennessee but this can not be verified.  The Trailhead graphics map indicates Colonel John P Murray was in command but the footnote said Col. Murray was not officially reported and is assumed to be in command.  Edward Cunningham in his book lists Col. Murray in command while Wiley Sword lists the commander of the 28th Tennessee as "unknown".  James Lee McDonough in his book, in the order of battle, lists the commander of the 28th Tennessee as Lt. Col. Uriah T Brown.  Larry Daniel does not list Colonel Brown at all in his book. The official Records lists a Uriah Brown only once in the appendix volume, serial #130 and that mention goes no where. This info may suggest the commander was Colonel Murray and the assistand commander was Lt Col Brown. 

The question becomes what information and sources can you provide?

Sorry but this is really no answer to your question.

Ron  

Thanks very much for this, Ron.  I, also, have seen some OOBs with Col. Murray in command, and some with Lt. Col. Brown in command.  Interesting that there should be such a black hole where the 28th Tennesseeis concerned.  There is also no mention of the activities of the 28th in the books you mentioned (although I'll look again, I might be wrong.)  It's also hard to find out when or under what circumstances Murray left the regiment.  I'll report back if I find out anything.

Larry

Larry,

Got some information from the web site, http://www.tngenweb.org a respected web site.  The28th Tennessee was organized in the eastern area of the state and was assigned to the Knoxville area.  the commander was Col John P Murray.  it operated with Gen. Zollicofer's forces and was in the Battle of Mills Spring, Jan 1862.  It took part in the retreat through Murfreesboro and took part in the Battle of Shiloh.  During these operations, the assistant regimental commander was Lt Col Uriah T Brown.  After Shiloh, the regiment was sent to Memphis where it reorganized on May 8th with Col Murray not been reelected as Colonel.  Lt Col Uriah Brown was elected the new commander with rank of Colonel.  The regiment proceeded into Mississippi and arrived in the Vicksburg area.  About this time, Col Uriah T Brown was discharged ill, in Sept 1862. The regiment was part of Gen Breckinridge's move against Baton Rouge.   

When the regiment was formed in 1861, Brown was assigned to Company E.

I hope this helps.

Ron

Thanks again, Ron, good stuff. I've turned up a few things, too, googling Murray's name.  He was evidently a judge from Gainesboro, Tennessee, before the war, and given a regiment by Governor Harris.  He was elected to the Confederate Congress from the Jackson County district after he was not re-elected colonel by the regiment in May 1862.

There's also a diary of a Spencer Talley of the 28th Tennessee online, and he gives a very general description of the regiment at Shiloh.  It's hard to tell what they did there, or who was in charge, although they must have done some fighting, because he mentions casualties.

I haven't looked at Statham's Shiloh report in the O.R. yet (if there is one).  I'll check there tonight. 

Larry

The Generals of Shiloh by Larry Tagg

As everyone knows, "You can't tell the players without a program." The originator of this topic, Larry Tagg, has published a book (2017) on all of the officers who were Brigade commanders (or above) during the two days at Battle of Shiloh. Army of the Tennessee, Army of the Ohio, and Confederate Army of the Mississippi are included; each entry is two or three pages long (and most include photographs.) About 250 pages, and includes bibliographical references (to allow more comprehensive details to be found) this book is a great resource, if only to refresh your memory of some of the more obscure characters at Shiloh.

The Generals of Shiloh: Character in Leadership, April 6 - 7, 1862, by Larry Tagg. Published 2017 at El Dorado Hills, Calif. (Savas Beatie, LLC).

Cheers

Ozzy

Additional Reference:  http://cwba.blogspot.com.au/2018/03/review-of-tagg-generals-of-shiloh.html  

On 5/18/2011 at 7:48 PM, larrytagg said:

Thanks again, Ron, good stuff. I've turned up a few things, too, googling Murray's name.  He was evidently a judge from Gainesboro, Tennessee, before the war, and given a regiment by Governor Harris.  He was elected to the Confederate Congress from the Jackson County district after he was not re-elected colonel by the regiment in May 1862.

There's also a diary of a Spencer Talley of the 28th Tennessee online, and he gives a very general description of the regiment at Shiloh.  It's hard to tell what they did there, or who was in charge, although they must have done some fighting, because he mentions casualties.

I haven't looked at Statham's Shiloh report in the O.R. yet (if there is one).  I'll check there tonight. 

Larry

Cpt. John Holman, left, and Lt. Spencer Talley, 28th Tennessee Infantry

John Holman & S. Talley.jpg

• Like 1

1st Sgt. Drury Hyder Bagwell, Company A, "The Cumberland County Confederates", 28th Tennessee Infantry.  Killed at Shiloh.

1st Sgt. Drury Hyder Bagwell, Co. A, The Cumberland County Confederates, 28th Tenn Inf, KIA Shiloh (2).jpg

• Like 1