Shiloh Discussion Group
mona

150 years ago Today????Trivia

150 years agoToday-- an individual was shot and killed---He was the first Union Officer killed and became a Martyr to the people of the North......name him and bonus points for the circumstances of his death....

Col. Elmer Ellsworth. Circumstances? Short version: President Lincoln saw a Confederate flag flying over the Marshall House Inn in Alexandria, VA. Col. Ellsworth attempted to remove it and was shot in the attempt.

Longer version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_E._Ellsworth

How much do I get for a picture of Col. Ellsworth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ElmerEllsworthphoto01.jpg

P.S. I never heard of the man before receiving an email from A. Lincoln Book Shop yesterday.

P.P.S. Hey, Mona, are you going to make "150 years ago today" a daily feature on SDG?

John, you forgot to mention that the owner of the flag shot Ellsworth and was in turn shot by Ellsworth men.  He becamre a martyr to the south.

I've been posting some articles on the beginning of the war on another site:

http://thecivilwarhomepagediscussion2824.yuku.com/

but haven't been here cause it's still a ways till Shiloh 150th, so they don't relate yet.

If you like day by day:

http://www.civilwar-online.com/

Jim

Correct I dont know if webmaster would approve (I kinda gambled with this as its not Shiloh related)But It would have to be all inclusive as I'd have a hard time asking only Shiloh/hardin Co  trivia Mona P.S. in this weeks edition of the Savannah Courier is a letter from a soldierin the 16th Wisc serving at Shiloh maybe youall can find it at www.courieranytime.com  Another thing about Ellsworth is prior to his death he was a guest in Lincolns home and a idol to the boys...the flag was given to the lincoln family and Mary put it away only to be found by the boys who would get it out and to Mr Lincoln's disgust wave it around so it was put way away---Wonder what happened to the flag????Mona

Mona, this is from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt...

Relics associated with Ellsworth's death became prized souvenirs. The
Smithsonian Institution
and
Bates College
's Special Collections Library have pieces of the Confederate flag that Ellsworth had when he was shot—in 1894, Brownell's widow was offering to sell small pieces of the flag for $10 and $15 each. The New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center in
Saratoga Springs
has most of the flag itself and Ellsworth's uniform, showing the hole from the fatal shot. The Fort Ward Museum in Alexandria dedicates a section of their museum to Ellsworth, displaying the kepi he wore when he was killed, patriotic envelopes bearing his image, a piece of the Confederate Flag (on which Ellsworth's blood is visible), and the "O" from the Marshall House sign that a soldier took as a souvenir.

Mona, you're safe. :)

The original idea was a trivia category related to the Shiloh campaign, but the only enthusiastic reception it got was from the local cricket contingent, so it's perfectly okay to expand it. I'd love to see some questions related to the Shiloh campaign as well at some point, but this is just fine.

C.D. - To be a totally anal-retentive technical nitpicker, the first Union casualties of the war would probably be the two unfortunate lads killed in the explosion at Fort Sumter during the flag-lowering ceremony. But you're obviously right about Ellsworth being a favorite of Lincoln. Ironic way to die, all things considered.

Perry

That was the reason I asked as I havent found much "in print to backup"150 yr ago around here--just dirt farmers,and river traffic...events will begin to develop in this area soon though That is why I postedthe Ellsworth question --at least it was a little different .I--and everybody else--come up with others---mona

Camp Ellsworth, the Federal training ground at Keokuk, Iowa was proclaimed on May 30th, 1861 -- less than a week after Colonel Elmer Ellsworth was gunned down in Alexandria. 'Remember Ellsworth' became such a powerful rallying cry, that several New York regiments got up after his death, were dedicated to his memory. Across the Loyal States of America, patriotic citizens named their children after him.

Significantly, for those seeking a connection to the Battle of Shiloh, the following Iowa infantry regiments received at least a portion of their training at Camp Ellsworth; First, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 15th and 16th. (The 1st Iowa, a 90-day regiment, was not present as a unit, at Shiloh. But over one hundred veterans of the Battle of Wilson's Creek were present, as members of other regiments, i.e. 12th Iowa and 14th Iowa.)