Shiloh Discussion Group
Rebel

2008 Anniversary

I do plan to go to Shiloh for the battlefield hikes. It appears this year that it is going to be on Sunday and Monday.. There is no activities showing up on the website yet. I will be there for the hikes and maybe even go down a day early..

Hope I can catch some of you there

Your Obedient Servant

Rebel

in reference to April events on April 6/7th 2008 I know this so far from my visit this past wed.Living History will be that Sat/Sun-this envolves encampments with artillary,calvary,infantry demonstrations-there will not be an issue of being too crowded the park does an very good job of setting this up and parking is only an issue if we.ve had alot of rain-parking is in on of the fields,so come on down.Now the hikes are still in the planning stages and as soon as I know I'll post information.The also have in previous years some setup as visitors center with navy info -rec go there early those guys dont stay late on sunday-have to travel back long way home.

• Like 1

hi--! saw yesterday where I hope it's you had posted that you are bringing a college group down this weekend?If so let me know you're schedule and I can tag catch up with youall and tag along .Always learn someting on every group hike I can attend and sat are good fro Iam off after midday and can start up with you after youre lunch break so please let me know.  

Mona

• Like 1

Hi Mona,

Dan makes for good tramping company around the park, and is an excellent free-ride giver. Which works very well for me, since I am an excellent free-ride taker. I also think he'll make a great battlefield guide for those kids. (We'll see if the compliments earn me anymore free rides this year. All I can do is try.)

I understand your point about always learning something at the park. It's a lot like reading a book. I've found that no matter how many times I may have read a certain book, I always seem to pick up something new each time I read it again. Visits to the battlefield parks are the same way. As is hearing someone else's perspective on it all. That was the case for me last year, and I'm sure will be again this year.

Perry

Hi Mona..

Sent you a PM before I saw that you had posted this on the board..  Check out the message for details..

This will be an adult education class though some of the folks are bringing some older kids..  It is my understanding that there is going to be both male and female students there..  Age will range from early 20's to 60's..  So, anyone that wants should come along..  We will be leaving the visitor center in the 9am range..  If you get there late call my cell phone 618-924-0191 and you can see where we are..

You may have picked up on the name of the college.. It was named after General John A (Blackjack) Logan..  He was actually from near home town..  But, dont hold that against me  :D

Your Servant

Rebel

Well, we're only one week away from the anniversary. Looks like the weather is going to be a little nicer to us than last year, at least where the temperature is concerned. Watching the forecast on that weather.com link, and it's currently showing highs around 70 for next weekend, and lows in the mid to upper 40's. Much nicer than last year, when the highs were lower than this year's projected lows.

The only potential glitch is a 60% chance of rain on Sunday and Monday. That could change and it might not rain at all. But even if it did, that would be in keeping with the historical spirit of the weekend, right? It rained on the armies before the battle and also on the night of the 6th. So if they can endure it, so can we.

But if you're going, you might want to replace last year's winter coat with an umbrella or poncho, and some galoshes. Or at the least, waterproof your shoes or boots before you head out. Even if it isn't raining when we're in the park, the ground could very well be wet, and we'll be tramping through a lot of areas that, if wet, could bring on a serious case of soggy socks. And if it doesn't rain, you still did what Grant, Sherman, and Prentiss didn't - you were ready, just in case.

I'll be staying at a campground in Savannah this year, and will probably arrive sometime Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping to spend some time out in the park that day, so if you'll be there and would like to get together for a bit, PM me for my cell phone number. I'd be happy to meet other board members before the hikes, but if not, hopefully we can do so on Sunday or Monday.

Perry

My family and I will be at Shiloh on Sat April 5th. Is anyone else going to be there at that time? We will be touring the battlefield and maybe helping out with the Liveing History.

We allways go there in April as close to the actual dates of the battle to Honor or Men from Pickens County Alabama that fought on those bloody plains.

Hi I hope you all have a safe trek down to the Park this weekend.I will be helping park cars   Sat.either at the Visitors center or at Water Oaks Pond area they will decide that am .So look me up maybe we can get together.Now to the weather it will bw wet,wet,wet.This past Sat. I tagged along with rebel and his group(Thank You I learned some things and will always every trip I take on the Park.)and the water was just running down Sunken road and standing in the fields so I dont know where all the rain is going to go that we are going to receive over the next 5 days.I'll keep up with the forcast--BUT as Perry said the temps are much more spring like so get out your hip boots and rain gear.   Mona.  

Hi The weather forcast is continuing to hold up --Havy rain/storms for Thurs and Fri.then become partly cloudy with 10% chance of showers bur that seems to be becoming less and less(I hope so)BUT the temp is expecting daytime temp 70's and evening 50's .--How nice!But,do prepare for very wet walks and standing water in the fields.Hope every one has a wonderful visit.Hope to see some of you Sat.and if any body wants to volunteer to park cars on Sat they are still looking_call the Visitor center.     Mona

Alas, I will not be able to attend the Anniversary.  ;)  Here's hoping that all of you lucky enough to go have sunny skies and dry paths.  In interest of preventing any injuries, please keep one eye on the sky.  I would hate for anyone to be taken unaware by a flock of raging bulls.  :D  Jim

Unfortunately, I, too, will miss you all at the great Shiloh anniversary hikes this year.

Last week I was privileged to attend a wonderful tour of the Atlanta Campaign.  With guides like Dr. Stephen Davis (longtime editor for Blue and Gray Magazine and author of Atlanta will Fall), Russell Bonds (author of Stealing the General), Dr. Stephen Woodworth(professor at Texas Christian University and author of many civil war books), Dr. John Fowler (professor at Kennesaw State University), Gordon Jones (Director of the Atlanta History Center) and Gregg Biggs (researcher of the historic flags in the Georgia Capitol Collection), I certainly added to my knowledge of the Western Theater.

As I trudged down ravines and marched up killer angled hills and mountains at Resaca, Cassville, Pickett's Mill, Kennesaw and Atlanta, I couldn't help but admire those soldiers who hauled cannons , carried equipment and walked for miles while dodging bullets and watching flanks!  I'm sure many of you experienced the same feelings in past Shiloh hikes and will again this upcoming anniversary.  We never tire of it, do we?

I wish you all good weather and strong legs as you walk in the footsteps of those who marched before you!  I will be with you in spirit this year and hope to see you at Shiloh in 2009.

The Manassas Belle

Just found out from rangers at the park(called me at 5pm thurs.)to let me know that all Living History events have been cancelled due to all the rains the area was almost in standing water and where parking was going on would result in alot of people getting stuck.But they will have some programs going on as Bjorn and Jeff will be there.So look me up I'll try to get out there by noon you can ask the rangers my office number.This kind of works for me as my Memphis State Tigers Tip off at 5:07 pm.But the hikes are still on schedule so hope to see yall then. Mona

Well, I'm sorry to hear that the weather forced the cancellation of the living history events. That's unfortunate. On the bright side though, literally and figuratively, it looks like we'll have good weather for the anniversary hikes, even if the ground is soggy.

Too bad not everyone can make it to the hikes this weekend, but I'm sure you'll be there in spirit. And there will be another round of hikes next year that hopefully more of us can attend. Eileen hiked around north Georgia enough last week to earn an honorary anniversary hike ribbon. Or maybe a Western Theater hike award. A great trip that must have been indeed.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other board members at Shiloh this weekend. If you're out in the park on Saturday afternoon and see a white-over-black Ford pickup with an Oklahoma tag, or a short bald guy in his late 40's walking around looking like he's lost, stop and say hi because it will probably be me.

For the folks heading to the park, have a safe trip, and I hope to see you this weekend. For the rest of you, we'll see you next week, and tell you about  our adventures. I believe that JimG is at the park right now come to think of it, and I hope he tells us about the experience when he gets back. I think it's his first trip to the park.

Don't forget, on Sunday morning, to pause for a moment and remember those who lived, witnessed, and experienced what we only read about.  And while you're at it, say a little prayer for their modern-day counterparts serving our country today.

Be safe,

Perry

I visted Shiloh again Sat for the 10th time in my life. The most important thing to me is visting the Burial trenches to pay my respect for the men from Pickens County Alabama that fought on those bloody plains for the 19th Ala inf and the 25th Ala Inf. I have ancestors that served in both of those regiments

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Here is a few more

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

These last 2 pictures all ways make me chock up , I am very passionte about my ancestors, I only study and vist places that is very hallowed ground for my ancestors walked there before me

Nice post, Greg.  Points out how much we owe to the National Park System for preserving these sacred grounds.  Unfortunately, there is so much more to save.  Jim

Hi Gregg......

I received a call from Perry today and told him about your great photos taken on the field yesterday.  He was glad you shared them with us.

From what he told me, Perry and the gang are having a great time at Shiloh this Anniversary Weekend.  When he called today he was in the Hornet's Nest awaiting the start of the fifth and final hike of the day ,"The Impenetrable Thicket:  The Center of the Sunken Road" being led by Park Volunteer Dr. Jeff Gentsch. I'm sure Perry is taking copious notes!  I'm looking forward to his field reports and those from the other participants when they return. 

The Manassas Belle

Thank you Manassas1 for those kind words. I regret that I didn't join this board sooner and gotten to know everyone. I am sort of a loner when it comes to visting battlefields. My wife is used to it, she tags along and takes most of the pictures.

On a personal note I have been a reenactor for nearly 20 yrs been to just about all of the National Events, when I am at a event I will get up in the middle of the night and walk around the battlefield fully  cooted up. One time at Chickamauga Batltfield, I had my wife drop me off a full mile from the field and I marched in boy the looks I got comeing across the open field toward Snodgrass Hill , I went in the way the 25th Ala charged the Hill. A park ranger meet me at the top and asked me what I was doing , I told him my ggggrand father was killed on the 2nd charge and I was getting as close to him as I could. The ranger was not upset or any thing like that. He really thought it was cool. He sulated me and said Carry on Sir. My wife was afraid I was going to jail or some thing, lol She never knows what to aspect.

Hi agian, Gregg....

I can't think of a better way to honor your ggggrandfather than to be a re-enactor and retrace his footsteps on the battlefield.  I'm sure he must be smiling down on you!

There are times I enjoy the peace and serenity of the battlefield by myself as well. I can't count the number of times I've explored different civil war battlefields just to imagine what the soldiers heard, saw and experienced.  Then again, I  also enjoy the company of other battlefield explorers. There is so much to learn. The knowledge gained when taking a tour or hike with a ranger or guide or just walking the field with a friend with a copy of the Official Records under your arm is not only fun, but rewarding.

I can't wait to hear all about the Shiloh anniversary hikes.

The Manassas Belle

Hi Greg,

Good pictures. Thanks for sharing them here. I think I remember seeing you on the hikes on Sunday. You may or may not have noticed me - I was the one walking around with the t-shirt that had the web site address on the back. Free advertising. :)

I can relate to being a loner when it comes to visiting the battlefield parks. I'm usually that way myself. Until last year in fact, on the 2007 hikes, I'd never visited a park as part of a formal group. Sometimes with a handful of friends, but the vast majority of the time it's just me, wandering around on my own. I think there are good things about both approaches, seeing a park on your own and at your own pace, and as part of a group. But there is an adjustment from one to the other, there's no doubt. But the good thing about this board is that we're all of the same mind when it comes to history. We may not share the same opinions about it all, but we all share the same interest. Or maybe obsession is a better word. :) The point is, we're all drawn to the story of our past, and that's our common ground.

Great story about marching up Snodgrass Hill. I hope you'll share more about your ancestors with us, as well as your own opinions and experiences.

Perry

Guest 23rd tenn

Great pictures Greg,  I too can relate with you about being a loner when visiting the battlefields. I really liked your story about Snodgrass hill, I had ancestors on both sides of the lines there and have stood looking up the hill and also stood looking down. It tends to give one a good idea of how things might have looked. 

one of the things I really enjoyed about the hikes is  tramping thru the woods and ravines with a group of people, it helped put everything into perspective even with the small number of us doing it. being able to see what difficulties the units had in being able to keep together. I looked back up one of the hills on the hike entitled into the ravines and saw everyone strung out attempting to make their way down. Then shortly after going up the next hill  when I looked back again and saw how far apart we all were and thinking to myself, "did the boys who were ahead of all the others think what I was thinking, come on guys I don't want to be the only one up here getting shot at."

I have to say my personal favorite of the hikes was the one done by Dr Gentsch entitled "Flooded Streams and dense vegetation" This one gave me the opportunity to make the attack on Rhea field just as part of Cleburne's brigade did.  What joy to cross over the same ground as my ancestors, cross Shiloh creek, then enter into Rhea field and attack the 53rd Ohio.  Ok, guess I'll stop here, my story telling isn't the same as some of you.

I look forward to next year and going again on the hikes, sure hope they continue doing them. they had me a little worried back in March when I couldn't find anything on them. Sure hope they continue.

Randy

Thanks everyone for those kind words. I do have one question to ask anyone that can help out. I do speeches at different SCV Camps when invited

I am getting material together on Col J D Johnston of the 25th Ala, I have lots of material , pictures ect. I have a cd of material furnished by the UA when he was Commander of the Corps of Cadets, material on him when he was Commander of the Caditel, ect. allways looking for more info . Hopefuly will have things worked out for May to give this speech at the Local Order of the Confederate Rose Camp when the ladies have their Sunday afternoon Tea.

Thanks

Gregg